    Anyone used a X2 extender with a 300mm f/2.8L IS? Would be interested to
    know what the the final output is like (poor, acceptable or actually pretty
    good).

    Gino, Jul 17, 2007

  2. Gino

    John Sheehy Guest

    It's hard to know what people mean by that.

    If a person is expecting a lens with a TC to have as much high-frequency
    sharpness and low-frequency contrast as without, then they are being
    unrealistic and will declare that the TC is compromised, even if the TC is
    doing the best it possibly can with the lens. The higher the
    magnification, the more contrast and resolution are lost at the pixel level
    (but not necessarily at the subject level, which is what is really
    important when using TCs; after all, we use them to get our subjects to
    cover more pixels (or grains) in the camera).

    John Sheehy, Jul 17, 2007

  3. Shooting herons and wildfowl, I've had some really excellent results using
    the Canon 2x MkII behind my old EF 300 f2.8L on a 30D in wintry conditions*.
    (No heat shimmy.) I've also had poor results due to front focusing, and/or
    heat shimmy. *Very difficult to tell any difference compared to using the
    bare lens.

    So far with a mint condition EF300 f2.8L IS I've yet to get any really good
    results over medium distances in warmer conditions. The lens by itself is
    excellent over short distances, and I suspect that it was seeing heat shimmy
    over my normal longer birding distances. (I also use astro telescopes so
    I'm familiar with the problems of "poor air" etc.)

    I note from a recent posting on dpreview that one 1D MkIII owner has found
    that he needed different micro AF settings when he added an extender.

    Malcolm Stewart, Jul 18, 2007
  4. Gino

    Gino Guest

    Well, pretty much what you said, you lose contrast, although sharpness, CA
    and barrel distortion too.

    What I would like to know is whether the loss of contrast, sharpness, etc.
    are poor, acceptable or pretty good with a lens like the 300 2.8L. Of
    course it is a bit of an open request, because what one person may say is
    pretty good, another may say that it is poor.

    I have read this review (link below) that mentions using both the 1.4X and
    the 2X extenders with this lens, however I would be interested in 'real
    life' opinions from people that have used this combo:

    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-300mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

    Gino, Jul 18, 2007
  5. Gino

    Jay B Guest

    Considering you are starting with a "Holy Cow That's Good..."
    lens..I'd settle for "Hey, not bad..." considering that with the 2x
    TC, you've in effect created a 500mm f/5.6.

    But since I don't own a 300mm f/2.8, YMMV...

    Jay Beckman
    Chandler, AZ
    www.pbase.com/flyingphotog

    Jay B, Jul 19, 2007