Using BT Voyager 2500V for non-BT VoIP?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Mills, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    I have recently been given a (used) 2500V which I wish to use as a
    backup both for my 3Com ADSL modem/wireless router (ISP = PlusNet) and
    for my PAP2T ATA (used with voip.co.uk)

    I have flashed it with downloaded firmware to "unlock" it (not sure
    whether that was really necessary or not) and have succeeded in getting
    it working as a modem/wireless router with my PlusNet ADSL service -
    including using WPA-PSK encryption.

    However, I'm not sure whether the VoIP bit is possible or, if it is, how
    to set it up. The web interface is pretty sparce in this respect,
    allowing only a phone number and password to be specified - rather than
    SIP account numbers and proxy server names etc. as required by voip.co.uk

    *However* it does appear to contain that stuff because you can dump its
    config as an .xml file and can then see a load of parameters[1] which
    are not visible via the web interface. Each parameter has a value (many
    of them null) contained in quotes - with some values being plain text
    and others being hex strings - with two hex digits per character (with
    the hex value appearing to be the two's complement of the appropriate
    Ascii code). In theory, it should be possible to edit the xml file in
    order to populate or modify the appropriate parameters, and then restore
    the modified config to the device.

    Have any of you succeeded in doing this? If so, can you please tell me
    which parameters I need to set, what their values should be, and which
    ones are hex encoded.

    TIA

    [1] here are some of them:

    ProxyServerName=""
    ProxyServerPort="5060"
    RegistrarServerName=""
    RegistrarServerPort="5060"
    OutboundProxyName=""
    OutboundProxyPort="5060"
    sipProtocol="17"
    sipPort="5060"
    phoneNumber1=""
    callerName1=""
    sipUserName1=""
    sipPassword1=""

    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Sep 3, 2010

  2. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    <SNIP>

    Sorry to answer my own post (no-one else has!) - but it's now sorted.

    I discovered that there is a Telnet interface which is easier to use
    than editing the config file, and which allows all the necessary
    parameters to be set. A fair amount of trial and error was involved, but
    I got there in the end! [I can provide further details if anyone is
    interested but - based on the (lack of) response to the original post -
    that seems unlikely!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Sep 5, 2010

  3. Roger Mills

    Brian A Guest

    It isn't just now but in the future when posts are useful.
    If I need an answer to something then I use Google to search for it. Your
    post will be there in perpetuity to help others. The worst posters are
    those who have subject lines like 'can anyone help' - as useless as a
    chocolate teapot. So, you've got the right subject heading. Feel free now
    to answer the question for the on-line community. You can be sure that
    you won't be the only one who needs that information.

    Brian A, Sep 8, 2010