    was wondering it if was possible to use this router to increase signal
    distance. Of course I am talking about doing this without running a cable
    to the second router. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

    _Mark_, Sep 14, 2006

  2. _Mark_

    Guest Guest

    I don't believe so. If you config the second router as an Access Point (AP),
    you need to run a cable from a port on the first router to a port on the
    second router. (along with some setup, of course). Otherwise, it would
    have nothing to broadcast.

    They do sell wireless repeaters, though, some for as little as $30.

    MD

    Guest, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Hi
    Yes it can be done, provided that the Wireless Router has a Client Mode (
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ).
    Of the Brand name Entry Level Cable/DSL Routers
    Buffalo Tech., some of the Belkin, and some of the SMC 802.11g models have
    client mode as is.
    Linksys WRT54g v.1-4, and WRT54L models can be flashed with 3rd party
    firmware and work as Client.
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=31
    Most new Access Points of most Brands can be configured as Clients too.
    Some of the configuration option are described
    here,http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 15, 2006
  4. _Mark_

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Wireless client mode/access client mode won't necessarily increase
    the signal strength. Configuring as a repeater will extend the range
    of signal but will halve the throughput (roughly) as it has to
    repeat in two directions. Repeaters usually use WDS to do this. An
    add on antenna might give you better distance without impacting
    speed/throughput too much.

    Alot depends on what is between the 4 port router and the 3 other
    machines. You should post more details on this.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Hi
    The links in my post above give a vast array of solutions including WDS that
    might covet most combinations of Hardware.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 15, 2006
  6. _Mark_

    Don35

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    If your wireless routers are compatable, the "bridging" and physically seperating them is the best way to go. I haven't had much success with external antennas and not all wireless adapters can accept them. If the routers are not compatable, eBay the one you dont want.

    Don35, Sep 16, 2006