    to "g". Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Bozena, Nov 30, 2008

  2. Bozena

    GTS Guest

    Maybe it's just a misstatement but when you say "router finding her new
    Brother wireless printer" do you mean printer finding the router? Are you
    scanning for wireless connections from the printer per installation
    instructions? The connection isn't automatic.
    __

    GTS, Nov 30, 2008

  3. Hi
    Check the Wireless setting of the Router and make sure that it is Not set
    to work only as N. Otherwise, it is automatically should work with 802.11g
    too.
    As as far my experience with Bother Printers goes, in order to make the
    Brother Network Printer(or AIO) the utilities and drivers of the Brother's
    device have to be installed first on the computers that are going to use
    this device.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 30, 2008
  4. Bozena

    Scott Guest

    Jack,

    I'm going to meet with her and look to see if the router is set for "N" only.
    That could be the problem. And, yes, the drivers and utilities were installed
    first on the Mac laptop. Someone else told me that the USB cable has to be
    connected when first installing the software.

    So, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the software(with USB connected)...and
    check for backward compatibility.

    There's a good chance it's one of those issues.

    The network is open (unencrypted). Once we get it working, I'll enable WPA.

    I'll report back here in a few days.

    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scott, Dec 1, 2008
  5. Bozena

    smlunatick Guest

    Also, any printer, or static "service" device (aka server,) connected
    to any network should always be set up with its own IP address stored
    on the unit (aka static IP address.) Printers, servers and routers
    all need to be always found. Several printer print "servers" default
    to DHCP service and will have the possibility of getting different IP
    addresses.

    smlunatick, Dec 1, 2008
  6. Bozena

    Scott Guest

    Yes, on the Brother printer menu, it displayed an IP address. When I entered that
    IP address on the printer setup on the Mac laptop, it wouldn't connect. It said to
    "check the network settings".

    I'll be working again on this problemagain on Monday night, and I'll report back
    on the results.

    Scott

    Scott, Dec 5, 2008
  7. Bozena

    smlunatick Guest

    Please make sure that:

    1) IP address is based on the same subnet scheme: If Mac laptop has
    an address with 192.168.0.xxx, then the printer also need to follow
    the same scheme (192.168.0.yyy)

    2) Subnet mask needs to match on both the Mac and printer: ex:
    255.255.255.0

    3) Firewall "rules" need to be told to let the Brother "drivers" to
    access the network

    4) Firewall may need to be told to "trust" the wireless network SSID.

    smlunatick, Dec 5, 2008