Using a router as a repeater to extend range.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jeff, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I have an extra router (SMC_WBR14G) that I want to use as a repeater to
    extend my home network range. Its manual says that to do so I have to:

    To establish a WDS connection between access points, follow
    the steps below.
    1. Check Enable Repeater radio button.
    2. Enter the MAC address of the access point to which you want
    to connect.
    3. Click Wireless/Channel and SSID of the navigation menu for
    configuring the operation mode (11b or 11g) and radio
    channel on the Wireless Barricade g Router.

    This home wireless lan is WPA protected. My question is, does this router I
    am using as a WPS repeater have to be setup with the WPA password, etc too?

    I am asking because that part of this router does not work which is why
    it was replaced. This router works fine if no WPA security is enabled and
    its MAC selection implementation works fine.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Jeff

    David Hettel Guest

    Yes, when you put it in this mode it becomes a "client" of your other
    router, and it will need the same info as a PC would to connect to your
    router.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Oct 8, 2006

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Oct 8, 2006
  4. Jeff

    David Hettel Guest

    Your welcome. Sorry it wasn't more helpful.

    David Hettel, Oct 8, 2006
  5. Hi

    Across the system, Wireless security has to be set to the max capacity of
    any single of the Wireless computers on the system. I.e. if one computer
    odes WEP only the whole system has to be set to WEP.

    Repeater/WDS/Client Modes are not a solid standard. Some times a unit that
    is WPA cable would work differently in one on the non-standard modes, and
    they might not work at all if trying to connect to another wireless source
    that has a chipset that is not compatible with the Repeater. Successful
    WDS/Client mode, is the best if you stay within the same Brand and chipset.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 8, 2006
  6. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thank you. Makes sense.

    Leaving repeaters aside, other than moving the location of my present
    router, is there some other way to extend its range? There is one corner of
    my home where the signal strength is consistently "very low" and therefore
    is sometimes dropped.

    I have a so called multi-directional extra antenna but it seems to do
    nothing to extend the range.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Oct 8, 2006
  7. Jeff

    David Hettel Guest

    Normally one would use a directional antenna to "beam" the signal where you
    want. However an antenna that beams will lower the signal in areas where it
    is not pointed at, so that can cause problems elsewhere. In my experience
    you can't increase the signal in one direction without lowering it in other
    directions.

    Generally having it as high as possible will give it better range.

    David Hettel, Oct 8, 2006
  8. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Thanks.