    I would like to know if anyone had actually done it and how well it
    worked. If it worked well, what model of controller and adapter did
    you use? Thank you in advance for all replies.

    Daniel Prince, Jul 13, 2006

  2. Daniel Prince

    AZ Nomad Guest

    If you have a PCI bus computer and no PATA controllers available then
    you ought to simply get a PATA card. They can be had for around ten
    bucks on ebay.

    AZ Nomad, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Daniel Prince

    plew Guest

    Saw an adapter at Fry's & the price was around $29.95; it was installable
    at the SATA port, drive or at the SATA cable. I was thinking about it when
    I upgrade my system as it looks like PATA may not be available on the
    newer motherboards or, at the most, only 1 ide connector.

    Then I realize that I still have the Promise ide card that came with my
    WD 160 gig drive because the idiots at m$ did not allow a 160 gig drive
    in their initial release of winxp; typical m$ stupidity. (who needs more
    than 64k of memory!)

    Don't recall the brand name the SATA/PATA adapter.

    plew, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Daniel Prince

    Dan G Guest

    PATA controller cards are notorious for not supporting ATAPI devices, very
    few of them do. Promise and Highpoint cards will run the burner in PIO in
    spite of showing it as DMA, and this is not good.

    The same is true of SATA cards, and even onboard SATA controllers. At
    present, only chipset-based SATA controllers are fully supporting optical
    drives, and mainly Intel-based chipsets. Some will allow fairly normal
    reading and writing, but there will be software issues, and problems with
    flashing firmware and other utilities that require ATAPI commands.

    The best option, by far, is to move all HD's to SATA, and use the onboard
    IDE port(s) for opticals.

    Dan G, Jul 14, 2006
  5. Daniel Prince

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Must be some windows thing. I run linux and I've used promise, highpoint,
    and silicon image with cdrws and dvdrw and they all worked perfectly using
    DMA66. I've experienced linux software raid not working so well with plugin
    PATA cards and hard drives, but that's another story.

    AZ Nomad, Jul 14, 2006
  6. Daniel Prince

    Guest Guest

    I bought a Promise card for $10 that adds a couple of extra parallel ports.
    It plugs into a PCI slot on the mother board. I used it to add a spare PATA
    hard drive, just long enough to back up 70GB of files that I didn't want to
    lose. It took about 80 minutes to do the job. If I'd had to buy the HD, I
    would have bought one with an SATA interface, and I wouldn't have needed the
    Promise card.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Jul 14, 2006