    disable it on my laptop when I take it home and connect to the Dlink Router.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    Greg, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    <http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faqs/wrt54g/Connecting two WRT54G
    routers together.asp>

    No matter if it's connecting two wired, two wireless or wire and wireless
    routers together, the principles on how to do it are the same. One router
    becomes a switch and the other router is the gateway for the LAN and WAN
    and is the DHCP server for the network. You'll turn the wireless router
    into an wire/wireless AP switch.

    I did that with my Linksys BEFW11S4 router when I connected it to the
    WatchGuard FW appliance. I made the 11S4 be a wired/wireless AP switch.

    Duane Arnold, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    What if we already have a switch? Our configuration is like this:

    Siemens DSL modem (our ISP provides an IP address for the DSL Modem from
    their site so we don't have to type in a user name or password in the Sonic
    Router). That connects into a Sonic Firewall/Router. That in turn connects
    into a Siemens 16 port switch. And I have the linksys wireless router
    connected to the switch with a standard cat5 cable running into the uplink
    on the back of the linksys wireless router. Should I connect the Sonic
    Firewall/Router into the uplink on the linksys router and then run one of
    the lan plug ins on the back of the router into the Siemens switch?

    But like I said. I have to manually type in a ip address, the gateway and
    proffered dns to be able to get on the web and look at our 2003 server.

    Greg, Sep 9, 2004
  4. Greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The Sonic router is a device that can control 255 computers and how that is
    done is chaining standalone hubs or switches together like any other
    router. So, you already have one switch on the network. So what?
    not OK
    You can plug a cat 5 into the LAN port of the Linksys router (not the UPlink
    or WAN port) and you can plug it into the switch or into the *LAN* port of
    the Sonic router. Either way, it makes no difference, because the Linksys
    router must be configured to be a wire/wireless *switch* AP (meaning a
    wireless or wired computer connected to the Linksys will get a DHCP IP from
    or use a static IP of the Sonic router. The Sonic router is the gateway
    device for the network.
    If the device IP of the Linksys is set to one of the static IP(s) of the
    Sonic router, then machines connected to the Sonic, the switch, or the
    Linksys wire/wireless switch AP will be able to access the Internet and
    they will be able to share resources and nothing has to be entered on your
    part (unless you config a NIC to use a static IP of the Sonic), because
    everything points to the Sonic as the gateway device for the LAN and WAN.

    Also, on the Linksys, you'll need to go to the Dynamic Routing Tab and
    change the router's Working mode from Gateway to Router.

    You can call Linksys Tech Support and they will tell you the same thing I
    have told you.

    Good luck!

    Duane Arnold, Sep 10, 2004