    connect a media converter that would convert a free copper gig-e port
    to fiber as a short term solution?

    Thanks

    rjmnyc, May 4, 2006

  2. rjmnyc

    anybody43 Guest

    catalyst 4507R
    This is not the case.

    Supervisor 4
    With two SE in the chassis you can still only use
    a total of two uplink ports and they are port
    one on each SE. i.e. Gi 1/1 and Gi 2/1.

    Supervisor 5
    With two SE in the chassis you can use all 4
    uplink ports.

    SO:-

    If you have both ports active on one SE
    you must have a Sup 5 and you can use all 4.

    I suggest that you check for yourself before
    spending money.

    anybody43, May 4, 2006

  3. rjmnyc

    rjmnyc Guest

    You are correct. What I meant to say was that there are two uplinks, 1
    on each supIV that do not work.

    I would like to know if I could use a media converter to convert a
    spare copper port to fiber so I can connect to the new IDF.

    Thanks.

    rjmnyc, May 4, 2006
  4. rjmnyc

    anybody43 Guest

    would like to know if I could use a media converter to convert a
    Yes.

    They seem more reliable than they look, which is a good thing.

    anybody43, May 4, 2006
  5. rjmnyc

    jay Guest

    try blackbox catalouge - has all sorts of bits like that

    jay, May 4, 2006
  6. rjmnyc

    MC Guest

    I use transistion media converters without any issues.

    However, they can get expensive themselves, ususally depending on
    equipment, somethimes cheaper to addd fiber ports to equipment in
    question. Of course line cards can indeed be more.

    MC, May 6, 2006