    get a simple hub?

    Thanks all,
    Ray

    Lunaray, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Lunaray

    derek / nul Guest

    You can just use the switch portion of the router to link machines together.

    derek / nul, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Lunaray

    Jerry G. Guest

    A router should have a feature to issue DHCP. Check the router's
    instructions for details. If you do not have DHCP, you will need to have a
    DHCP server.

    If you want, but this is more complicated, you can use a switch, or use your
    router as a switch. You will then have to set your machines up with fixed IP
    addresses. If you want to go fixed IP, this is going to get more
    complicated.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Greetings!

    Because of the bad financial situation I'm in right now, I'm going to have
    to go back to dial-up service for awhile (ooh, I hate the way that sounds),
    and I'm wondering if I can still use my DSL router to Network two computers
    together, without having a DSL connection? Would I be better off to just
    get a simple hub?

    Thanks all,
    Ray

    Jerry G., Oct 17, 2004
  4. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Thanks Jerry!

    My router is a LinkSys 4-port DSL router and I currently have it set up to
    use DHCP (I haven't cancelled my DSL service yet}, I guess my real question
    is: are there any advantages to using a router instead of a hub? (besides
    the fact that I already have the router and I would need to purchase a hub)

    Lunaray, Oct 18, 2004