    hate to just throw them away.

    Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

    Christine

    Christine Geary, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Christine Geary Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    Honestly, if they've been sitting around for that long, chances are
    they have deteriorated quite a bit and are unuseable...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Christine Geary

    SgtMinor Guest

    Unless there's valuable data on those floppies that you must retrieve,
    it will be more trouble than it's worth. You'll need to sacrifice a
    full width slot in your case, and the media on the old floppies may no
    longer be reliable.

    SgtMinor, Sep 6, 2003
  4. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Christine Geary <> typed
    || I realize that this is a long shot, but here goes: Is there a way
    || that I can use old 5 1/4" floppy discs with my computer? You see, I
    || have a lot of the old, formatted floppies that were given to me
    || about 8 years ago when I had a Commodore 64, which I would have
    || reformatted to use in that computer. I have Windows ME operating
    || system with a 3 1/2" floppy drive and I would hate to just throw
    || them away.

    I think the only real drawback you'll come across is finding a suitable data
    cable for the drive, if you don't already have one with the drive. It
    doesn't use the same connector as a 3.5" drive. You could probably pick one
    up at a 2nd hand computer market or similar.

    Really not worth the trouble, though, it's probably only a 360KB drive /
    disks anyway.

    Robert de Brus, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Christine Geary

    donut Guest

    If you reformatted them to work in a C64, they are not going to work in
    Windows.

    donut, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Christine Geary

    JAD Guest

    oh man wheres that copy of Liesure suit larry?

    You know.......I just loaded that game using the51/4 and low and behold it works lucky i found the book with the phone
    numbers.....anyway these are a good 17 years old and most of them work PC TOOLS PROCOMM betas heheh LOL ROF...why do i have
    this stuff.... thrift store and buy one of those poor 486ers

    JAD, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Christine Geary

    JAD Guest

    I have Windows ME operating system with a 3
    Don't! give them to me.....no Not Dont give them to me....i mean......

    If you reformatted them to work in a C64, they are not going to work in
    heh missed that....yer perty smert fer a donit

    JAD, Sep 7, 2003
  8. Christine Geary

    Patrick Guest

    You don't need to *throw* the 5.25 floppys away, you can just gently place
    them in the rubbish bin.
    Nice try though (green thing an all that), the practicality though is nil
    (for just the value of the disks).
    I threw a few hundred or something away a year ago (used to run a BBC B
    (Beeb))
    I've about a hundred 720k 3.5 floppys at the moment, I'd probably be better
    of throwing (putting) these in the rubbish bin.

    Patrick, Sep 7, 2003
  9. Christine Geary

    philo Guest

    a 5.25" drive will work fine in a modern computer
    i have one in my machine for reading old dos discs
    although many have died...i still have a few 15 years old that are fine

    however i don't know if you can read any floppies made on a c64

    you may want to ask on www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/helpline

    philo, Sep 7, 2003
  10. Christine Geary

    PhilGreg Guest

    ==> Hey, you the same donut that used to frequent the old Lockergnome
    IRC?

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 7, 2003
  11. Howdy!

    Do you want to pull the data off of them? Or just use them?

    If the former, you'll need a Commodore 64. If the latter - you can
    buy a batch of 3.5" floppy disks for what a good 5.25" USED floppy disk
    drive will run you ..

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 7, 2003
  12. You'll need to locate a used 5.25 inch floppy drive that works, install it
    and reformat the disks. You could use FDFormat to increase the capacity of
    the disks (search for it on Google, it's free). As others have pointed out,
    it's probably not worth the trouble.

    Another Airnet User, Sep 7, 2003
  13. Christine Geary

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Yeah, it's too bad that Windows doesn't come with some sort
    of command to FORMAT disks to it's file system, isn't it?

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 7, 2003
  14. Christine Geary

    Micron Guest

    There may be light at the end of the tunnel. do you still have your old 1541
    C64 drive?

    It is technically impossible to read a 1541 disk in a PC diskdrive. The
    reason is that PC and 1541 uses completely different systems for magnetic
    recording, MFM versus GCR. Note also that the original 1541 is much more
    than just a disk drive, in fact it is a complete computer, with its own CPU
    and RAM/ROM. The PC's diskdrive is just mechanics with simple read/write
    electronics, with no intelligence of its own.

    BUT... You can connect a 1542 drive to your pc using a din to seriel
    connector. you wil then need a Commodore 64 Emulator
    (http://viceteam.bei.t-online.de/) <--- from here.

    Ok on the 5.25" format, there are a few ways of doing this. You need
    something that can physically read the 5.25" disk.
    Null modemThis applies to PC, Mac, Linux box or whatever - I'll stick to PC
    as that's what relevant to 99% of you anyway)
    Connect the PC to the C64 via a null modem connection (typically a serial
    cable and a Null modem). Now hook up a terminal program in both ends and
    fire away using any of the file transfer protocols available in both ends.
    Hardware: You need both a C64, a 15x1 and a null modem cable
    Advantage: Easy to set up
    Disadvantages: You'll be doing it till hell freezes if you want to do more
    than just a few files

    X 1541 cableHook up the C1541 disk drive to the PC using a X-1541 interface
    (it's just a cable - easy to solder even if you aren't born with five thumbs
    on each hand)
    Using the programs StarCommander or Trans64 you can transfer the data to the
    PC in a blizz. StarCommander is still developed and allows you to do all
    sorts of nice things, including picking individual files from the disk and
    copying them to the PC in any form you want, converted on the fly.
    Hardware: You need a 15x1 diskdrive and the X1541 cable
    Advantages: Fast, reliable and flexible
    Disadvantages: It simply won't work on all machines and getting a working
    1541 drive might cause problems.

    CatweaselThis is an interface that allows you to hook på standard PC 3.5"
    and 5.25" drives and in the process they are suddenly able to read just
    about every disk format ever created. Amazing piece of hardware.
    Hardware: The catweasel and a PC 5.25" disk drive
    Advantages: The fastest solution and the drives are really cheap if you find
    them
    Disadvantages: Costy and the software support is not perfected as
    StarCommander.

    Assuming you ported the data there are two ways to go on;
    Run the original program in an emulatorWill always work. You can even set
    the speed to the maximum of what your system can cope with so it could be
    conciderably much faster than it was on the original C64. Note that VICE is
    available in C128 mode as well so wordprocessors in this system can also be
    emulated.
    Advantages: Given that you have the program that created the original text,
    this works great
    Disadvantages: You typically must have a cracked copy of your words
    processor, or it doesn't work on the emulator.

    Convert the document(s) and edit on any other WordprocessorLet's face it -
    wordprocessors on the PC are SOOO much better than they used to be on the
    C64! If you convert your old texts to a format that is PC readable, then you
    have fully migrated into a slightly more sustainable environment.
    Advantages: Take full advantage of the newer system
    Disadvantages: You must be able to convert the old text into a newer format.
    How to convert it? Well, I am not aware of any good way of doing it on the
    PC so you simply have to do it on the native c64. Sometimes the
    wordprocessors have the option of saving the files in plain text format -
    you lose all the formatting, but you have all the text as written.
    If you're lucky, you've written your texts in a format that is readable by
    Gnylf, a very handy program written by the good friend Linus Walleij. It
    runs on the C64 but could very well be run under on of the emulators.

    How do I play games in the emulator?
    The long storyWhat meets you when you boot a Commodore64 is not a shell,
    like MS-DOS or Unix, but a screen editor From it you can enter basic
    statements, but also issue DOS commands. You can freely walk with the
    cursor, alter the line you're on and then press return to issue the command.
    The Commodore DOS features "devices", where the screen is device 0, tape is
    1, a printer 4 or 5 and disk drives normally 8, 9, 10 or 11. To load a file
    from a device has the general syntax:
    LOAD ["filename"][,device][,absolute address]
    The system from boot-up assumes that input device is tape and output device
    is screen, which means that you do not specify the device if you want to
    load from tape. Also the "absolute address" parameter can be 0 or 1 where
    "0" means "load to basic" (default) and "1" means "load to the address
    specified in the file".
    So if you want to load from tape you just need to issue the command LOAD.
    This loads the next file from tape. In the world of emulator, this means
    that you want to load from a T64 or TAP file. You can issue the same command
    more specific; LOAD "*",1 ... This means "Load the first file you find with
    any name, from the tape device - i.e. device 1"
    To load from a disk (which is a D64 file in the world of emulators), you
    cannot just issue LOAD but need to add the device indicator (or you have
    stated you want to load from tape). So issuing the command LOAD"*",8 means
    that you want to load the file that appear in the disks table of contents
    (called the "directory"). So what about all the other files on the disk -
    how can you see them?
    To load the directory you issue LOAD"$",8 followed by LIST. There you see
    the contents. Files with the file type PRG can normally be loaded by issuing
    LOAD"filename",8. If the directory is longer than a screen you risk missing
    the first files, but you can halt the output using the key CTRL and abort
    using the key Run/Stop.
    If you have the directory on the screen, you can use the screen editor to
    walk up the screen and type LOAD before the filename (on top of the length
    reference) and walk passed the filename and type ,8: after the closing
    quotation mark. The colon means "end of statement" and is only placed there
    to prevent the PRG reference to be parsed as a command.
    Finally; You have to run the program loaded, which is done using the RUN
    command.

    The short story To load from tape, issue LOAD
    From disk, issue LOAD"*",8
    Then type RUN to run the program
    Also; In most emulators you get a menu of the contents, where you can select
    a file which is then loaded and executed.

    Hope this helps.

    Micron, Sep 7, 2003
  15. Christine Geary

    JAD Guest

    Holy Crap!!!!!!! is all i have to say

    JAD, Sep 7, 2003
  16. Christine Geary

    Mike0000 Guest

    Sure, finding an 5.25 drive isn't that hard, but the real issue will be
    the disks. After that long chances are they're going to be DOA.

    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now
    http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    Mike0000, Sep 7, 2003
  17. Christine Geary

    Micron Guest

    ????

    Micron, Sep 7, 2003
  18. Christine Geary

    donut Guest

    Nope, not me.

    donut, Sep 7, 2003
  19. Christine Geary

    news Guest

    Hello donut,

    d> Nope, not me.

    news, Sep 7, 2003
  20. The floppies haven't been reformatted; they were formatted to be used in a
    PC.

    Christine

    Christine Geary, Sep 7, 2003