    wireless router is a Draytek Vigor. What do I need to configure on both
    routers?
    Julian.

    Julian, May 22, 2010

  2. Julian

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Better location of router in the house and/or better higher gain
    omni-directional antenna won't do?

    Tony Hwang, May 22, 2010

  3. Julian

    Char Jackson Guest

    Make no changes to the existing wireless router.

    On router 2, disable DHCP.

    Connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the existing router to a
    LAN port on router 2. In most cases, a standard straight-through cable
    will be fine. In rare cases, a crossover cable may be required.

    The WAN port on router 2 will not be used.

    If you want seamless roaming between the two routers, (technically the
    second router is an access point now), then configure router 2 with
    the same SSID, same channel, same modulation type (A/B/G/N), same
    encryption type and same password as the existing router.

    If roaming is not desired, then configure router 2 with unique values,
    as desired. Remember that channels 1, 6, and 11 are the only
    non-overlapping channels for B/G networks.

    Refer to one of the numerous guides on configuring a wireless router
    to act as an access point if you get stuck. Here's one example:
    <http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-router-as-access-point.html>

    Char Jackson, May 22, 2010
  4. Julian

    Char Jackson Guest

    Oops, I guess you're right. While the Subject indeed mentions a
    repeater, the Body does not, and I wrongfully assumed it was common
    knowledge that a repeater is a horrible idea in general and should
    only be used as a last resort, so I dismissed the repeater in favor of
    an additional access point to cover the garden. I shouldn't have done
    that since the OP may have valid reasons for wanting a repeater.
    The setup I described does that, too.

    Char Jackson, May 23, 2010
  5. Julian

    Char Jackson Guest

    True, and that can be a big benefit. Unfortunately, it comes at a very
    high cost of wrecking the wireless throughput.
    Understood. I'm in the same boat, but in my case I only needed wired
    access in the distant room, rather than wired/wireless, so a bridge
    worked for me.
    Yep, I have one of my WRT54GL's doing (nearly) the same thing. dd-wrt
    calls it Client mode, or Client Bridge if you want to simply extend
    the existing network without creating a new subnet.
    In my case, I don't have the luxury of giving up half (or more) of my
    throughput as a result of running a repeater, so I didn't have much
    choice. Repeaters have their place, though.

    Anyway, I hope the OP got what he/she needs and is moving ahead.

    Char Jackson, May 24, 2010