    Frustrated Parent,

    Jack Barrett
    My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

    Jack Barrett, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Why won't a password work ??

    Hank Sniadoch, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Jack Barrett

    Kyote Guest

    I think Hank means don't tell them the password for accessing the
    internet and uncheck the box to remember the password.

    Kyote, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Exactly ....

    Hank Sniadoch, Dec 12, 2004
  5. BTW, thanks for your clarification.

    Hank Sniadoch, Dec 12, 2004
  6. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    How is this done?

    Thanks,

    Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett, Dec 12, 2004
  7. dude
    I hate to break it to you, but the real world is more dangerous and
    horrible (and scary) than the internet or the movies. Perhaps even the
    school yard is worse than the internet.
    And the internet has more redeeming qualities than the real world, the
    schoolyard or the movies.

    jameshanley39, Dec 13, 2004
  8. Jack Barrett

    Jim Berwick Guest

    The easiest, cheapest and most obvious solution is to be a parent and say
    no. Failing that, find some type of parental control software that can
    block them from going on the net during the hours you set. Depending on
    the age of the kids, it'll only work for a short period of time before they
    find a way around it.

    Again, just be a parent and put your foot down.

    Jim Berwick, Dec 13, 2004
  9. Jack Barrett

    Plato Guest

    My schoolyard was pretty mean. Sort of like a prison yard.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  10. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Thanks for all your postings and help! =)
    The reason I am seeking help is part of being a parent!
    My kids still need a computer to do homework and store information.
    I agree that the internet has some redeeming qualities, but there are some
    not so great qualities about it!
    My twins boys are 15 and there are some places that they need not go on the
    internet. As long as I am able, I will protect them as best as I can from
    the crap that can be lurking in chat rooms and porn sites!
    The internet is littered with stories of kids that were preyed upon by sick
    adults- that is the main reason why I am doing what I am doing.
    They will always be curious, want to experiment and be defiant, that is part
    of growing up, but I can still try to stay ahead of them.

    Still Learning Parent,

    Jack Barrett, Dec 13, 2004
  11. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    They are kids and you cannot stop them completely. They will find away
    around it if they want to do it bad enough. The best you can do is talk to
    your kids about the dangers and hope that it gets through to them.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Jack Barrett

    Robert Baer Guest

    Wise words; should be applied in all appropiate cases: when to be home
    at nite; what food, toys can be bought; how much (if any) allowance is
    given; how much help to be given around the house (does not include
    keeping room neat and clean), etc.

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2004
  13. Jack Barrett

    Robert Baer Guest

    AMEN to that!

    Robert Baer, Dec 14, 2004
  14. Jack Barrett

    Plato Guest

    I didn't have a master plan on this, but oddly, I'm raising my kids in
    the same suburban town I grew up in since age 12. This is a town where
    both parents work, mostly in New York City and are not home until 7:30
    PM or so. Yes it was a blast playing at my buddies houses whose parents
    weren't home till later and they had the house to themselves. Luckily I
    was part of a good "crew" and we didn't get into any trouble. On the
    other hand, there were many groups of teens who took advantage of the
    parents not being there and got into heaps of trouble. So back in 1995 I
    decided to do what I had to do and be home when the kids got home from
    school. So far its worked out just fine.

    Plato, Dec 14, 2004
  15. Jack Barrett

    Robt. Miller Guest

    tcpkill, part of the dsniff package, and some scripting. I can turn ip
    on or off any computer in the house by sending a specific email to my
    machine.

    --

    (o< |)
    //\ ..may the beacon /\obt.

    Robt. Miller, Dec 14, 2004
  16. Jack Barrett

    Kyote Guest

    Your welcome Mate.

    Kyote, Dec 22, 2004
  17. Jack Barrett

    Kyote Guest

    LOL Mate. If you was my Dad with a lump of wood firmly attached to his
    hand, I'd be well mannered and respected too.. ;)

    Kyote, Dec 22, 2004
  18. Jack Barrett

    Kyote Guest

    But keep the lump of wood handy, just in case.... ;) If not for the
    kid then for the predator.

    Kyote, Dec 22, 2004