[Usenet] "Cancel-Lock"????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Thomas™, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Thomas™

    Thomas™ Guest

    Recently I have been noticing that the headers of some posts have an
    entry named "cancel lock:" followed by what looks like an encryption
    key.
    I've Googled it up and from what little I was able to find I gather
    it's a method to authenticate the original posted message from a
    malicious control cancel message. In theory, this would head off
    malicious cancels. If I'm correct, where does the
    encryption hashes come from?? Is it related to PGP keys?? Is this
    widespread, because I've only seen it on a few posts? How is it
    matched for authentication?? Is the system NSP controlled, or by each
    individual server admin.?? Is it suitable for use on a Windows box
    using Agent??And if so, How?

    Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance to anyone more
    up-to-date than me who can enlighten me on the topic.

    Mahalo

    Aloha mai kai pu`uwai !!

    Check out hawaii.politics Official
    Home Page @ http://www.hawaii-politics.com
    Nothing for sale and lots of fun stuff,
    comedy clips, photos and joke pages.
    Brought to you free of charge from the
    friendly folks of the Board of Director's
    of the hawaii.politics newsgroup.®

    Unsolicited abusive E-mail will be subject to legal action.
    I reserve the right to publicly post and/or ridicule any
    abusive E-mail.
    © (Since the copyright of Usenet articles is ridiculous, and frankly too
    pompous, and unenforceable, feel free to use any, and/or the entire above
    article, that reflects solely my personal opinions, for your personal use.
    For that matter, if you can find a commercial use, and someone is stupid
    enough to actually pay money for this crap, more power to you)

    "Statistics are like loose women, once you get them you can do anything you
    want with them."
    ~ Walt Michaels, of NY Jets, quoted in the "New York Times" (Dec 17, 1978)

    Thomas™, Jul 11, 2004

  2. John Wunderlich, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Thomas™

    Thomas™ Guest

    Outstanding. Thanks John. My searches failed to pull this up. I found
    something similar doing an RFC search in an RFC-proposal commentary,
    but it didn't have as much detail.

    I'm still a little fuzzy about how it describes posting the cancel
    lock into the headers. It's a Base-64 encoding of the message ID +
    "secret code" (held locally it says). I assume that secret code is
    just something you as the poster add, kind of like a personal
    password??

    That brings up another problem. **Sigh** Always the case, isn't it?
    ;-) Try as I might, I've never been able to edit the headers in
    Agent. I've tried all the properties menus, all the Agent help files,
    I've searched Usenet & the web, I've even opened up Agent.ini in
    Notepad to see if I could edit the configuration file manually, no
    luck. Anybody know?? Any agent gurus out there?? I've asked at
    alt.offline.newsreaders.forte-agent, without success.

    Plus, if I get that far, what's anybody's favorite base-64
    encoder/decoder???

    Mahalo in advance.

    Thomas™, Jul 13, 2004
  4. Thomas™

    °Mike° Guest

    What the hell is all this? A usenet signature should
    be comprised of:

    TWO dashes, ONE space, ONE CR/LF and then
    NO MORE than four lines of signature.

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:07:58 -1000, in
    <>
    Thomas™ scrawled: