Used Sigma SD-9 body

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Tuthill, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. You have no idea who I am. Hint: Everyone is wrong.

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Oh no, another Bayer child loses it. Does anyone mature use a Bayer camera?

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004

  3. ?

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004
  4. configurations!

    All JPEG'ing is poor.

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004
  5. George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Fine. Neither are usable above ISO 800.

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004
  7. I've posted a boat load. Do a search. I've also proven Canon is much worse
    at ISO 100 and up.

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004
  8. Is that a, no?

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004
  9. Then they buy Simga's much higher value pro line.

    Canon is bottom of the barrel on value.

    George Preddy, Feb 5, 2004
  10. Mike Tuthill

    Lionel Guest

    Bullshit. I've *sold* 10D photos I've shot at ISO 1600. To a
    professional photographer, that's the exact definition of 'usable'.
    Furthemore, most of the ISO 1600 shots that I've sold were pushed by 0.5
    to 1 stop or more during RAW conversion.

    How many photos have *you* sold, 'George'? Or do you just use your toy
    camera to take really crappy photos of pennies or meaningless charts for
    real photographers to laugh at one the Internet?

    Lionel, Feb 5, 2004
  11. Mike Tuthill

    JPS Guest

    In message <040220042044383215%>,
    Actually, I believe that the "1600" on the 10D is 800 pushed a stop and
    under-exposed a stop, and the "3200" is 1600 done the same way. No true
    (gain-only) 3200 at all, and true 1600 only available underexposed and
    pushed a stop in "H" mode. I will know for certain when I get around to
    changing DCRAW to output the pure RAW numbers. The code is in a strange
    style to me, and I'm a bit rusty at my C.

    JPS, Feb 6, 2004
  12. I've sold empty beer cans.

    George Preddy, Feb 6, 2004
  13. It really doesn't matter, even at ISO 400 the 10D is marginal at best.
    Sheeze, at ISO 100 it's blurry as can be.

    George Preddy, Feb 6, 2004
  14. Mike Tuthill

    Lionel Guest

    Why doesn't that surprise me? No wonder you're so jealous of people who
    can afford a real camera.

    Lionel, Feb 6, 2004
  15. Mike Tuthill

    Mike Tuthill Guest

    In the meantime I decided today to make better use of my SLRs by
    ordering the Minolta Dimage Scan IV. I can now delay my decision on a
    DSLR for a year or so and keep busy scanning negatives with it and
    older photos with my flatbed.

    Mike Tuthill, Feb 6, 2004
  16. I'm happy if people can afford a Fovoen sensor.

    George Preddy, Feb 6, 2004
  17. Mike Tuthill

    Azzz1588 Guest

    But those who can, always buy the Canon, or Nikon cameras.

    Why is that george ??????????????

    Azzz1588, Feb 6, 2004
  18. This is a better idea. Wait for the SD-10 to come down in price to around
    $500 or so then go for it. The SD-10 corrects a lot of the problems with the
    SD-9, but it's not likely to be successful for other reasons, so it'll
    likely be closed out within a year. Here's a good analysis of the situation:

    "Sigma, famous for making low-end to mid-range lenses for other camera
    maker's SLRs, now makes their own digital SLRs using sensors from Foveon.

    The first Sigma D-SLR was the 3.4 Mpixel, $650 (close-out price), SD-9. It
    was a flop. The SD-9 has serious image quality problems. It has been
    discontinued, but is still available from some web retailers. Don't be
    enticed by the seemingly unbelievably low price of the Sigma SD-9; it
    dropped from an announced price of $3000 down to a release price of $1800,
    down to a close-out price of $650, for a very good reason! 'Free' is too
    much to pay for an SD-9.

    The $1350 SD-10 is essentially the same camera as the SD-9, but with an
    improved version of the sensor (but still only 3.4Mp). The best thing that
    I've seen said about it is that it is almost as good as the Canon 10D.

    So why not buy a Sigma SD-10 rather than the Canon 10D? In a word, lenses.
    With Sigma, you must choose from a limited selection of lower quality, Sigma
    SA mount lenses (or pay a lot more for the premium line of Sigma lenses
    which are about equal in quality to the amateur lenses sold by Canon and
    Nikon).

    Don't be misled by the claims that the 3.4Mpixel SD-9 and SD-10 are really
    10.2 Mpixel cameras. The type of sensor they use, the Foveon sensor, layers
    three sensors at each pixel location, so it is a 10.2 Msensor camera. But a
    sensor is not the same thing as a pixel! If all things were equal, the
    Foveon sensor would provide about a 2x advantage in resolution over a Bayer
    sensor, but all things are not equal. Foveon has potential, but at this
    juncture the Foveon based Sigma D-SLRs are best avoided; Canon is the best
    value. Nikon is worth waiting for if you're already invested in compatible
    Nikon lenses.

    The SD-10 is worth considering only if you already own a collection of the
    premium line of Sigma SA mount lenses (for the Sigma film SLRs). Even so,
    you're looking at a camera body that's not nearly as good as a comparably
    priced Canon 10D, and not even as good as a $900 Canon EOS 300D Digital
    Rebel."

    The above quote goes straight to the heart of the issue. I know that there
    is one guy in the world that disagrees with the assessment above, but he't
    simply trying to entice other unsuspecting individuals into repeating the
    buying mistake that he regrets. Misery loves company! So wait for the SD-10
    to come down in price, and enjoy.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 6, 2004
  19. Ah, so Sigma hasn't really sold all of the SDs they could make. It's like
    the Moon landing.

    George Preddy, Feb 6, 2004
  20. Mike Tuthill

    Azzz1588 Guest

    Funny, you couldnt answer the question could you ??

    Pro's dont use the sigma and you know it...........

    Azzz1588, Feb 7, 2004