    Any comments on this?

    thanks.

    PS. Nikon d50 was the victim.

    gtagle, Oct 2, 2006

  2. PEC Pads and Eclipse (methanol) solution will remove this. Using canned air
    as you did is fine if you don't get too trigger happy. The best way to do
    it is slightly pull the trigger when the nozzle is away from the camera
    *THEN* bring the camera into the nozzle air stream. Never a mishap this
    way. If you're looking for a pro solution, try this:

    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 2, 2006

  3. gtagle

    Hoover Guest

    You're screwed

    Hoover, Oct 2, 2006
  4. gtagle

    George Kerby Guest

    "Now THAT'S funny! I don't care WHO you are-that there's FUNNY."

    ­ Larry the Cable Guy

    George Kerby, Oct 3, 2006
  5. gtagle

    Stewy Guest

    I did offer solutions to this about a year ago.

    Simply remove the lens and lock the mirror up. Extend your tongue and
    gently apply saliva to the entire surface of the sensor (releasing the
    mirror lockup at this point would be a BAD IDEA) When the surface is
    sufficiently salivered, withdraw tongue and hope for the best.

    Stewy, Oct 3, 2006
  6. gtagle

    Rich Guest

    Would have been funnier if it had been the shutter.

    Rich, Oct 3, 2006
  7. Hmm. Given the distance involved, this is only possible if your tongue
    is of the retrofocus design.

    mark.thomas.7, Oct 3, 2006
  8. gtagle

    irwell Guest

    Try to locate a good watchmaker/repairer they have
    de=greasing techniques for delicate mechanisms.

    irwell, Oct 3, 2006
  9. Jesus Christ! This might be more serious than I thought! OK then, mix up a
    solution of 10% butoxy ethanol to 90 stoddard solvent and use one drop on
    the end of a sensor wipe. This is the best degreaser know to mankind.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 3, 2006
  10. gtagle

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
    Yes.. Eclipse is a good cleaning solution. It's overpriced, but
    it's farm more pure than the stuff you get in a hardware store.
    It's even cleaner than medical grade methanol.

    FWIW, I use a bulb blower to dust my camera. (The air refills are
    free :) If the blower won't dislodge the dust, then I swab
    the sensor with Photosol eclipse liquid and sensor swabs.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 3, 2006
  11. gtagle

    Sandy Barrie Guest

    Hi,

    bought a packet ofthose wet swabbs "sensor Cleaners" called 'Green Clean'

    did the best job I have ever seen.. My canon 20D originaly had to have
    the sensor replaced by canon, under warranty, becuse they Could not get
    specs out that had gon under the covering glass high pass filter.

    If the 'item' is on top, then these wet cleaners seem to work wonders,
    when used as directed...

    Regards

    Sandy

    Sandy Barrie, Oct 3, 2006
  12. gtagle

    Jock Guest

    I had the same result [canned air residue] with my Pentax. I sent it to the
    service folk 'cause I cbf cleaning it with swabs & stuff. It pays to be
    careful with canned air to the point of not even using it. As mentioned,
    use a manual bulb blower thing - they are good I believe.
    Good luck
    Jock

    Jock, Oct 3, 2006
  13. I'll refrain from the obvious. Send the camera to Nikon in Melville or
    El Segundo, pay what they ask, and don't DO that anymore.

    Scott Schuckert, Oct 3, 2006
  14. gtagle

    eyalnevo Guest

    or sell the camera on Ebay like everybody else

    eyalnevo, Oct 3, 2006
  15. gtagle

    Bill Guest

    Or better yet, go to any camera store and buy one of the cheap sensor
    cleaning kits with methanol fluid and swipes (around $35-50 depending
    on kit). Hopefully the methanol will get the gunk off the sensor. You
    may have to clean it a few times if the gunk is really nasty.

    Read up on sensor cleaning first at a site like this:

    http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

    Bill, Oct 3, 2006