  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    ....anyone who thinks these EVIL's still have focus lag...wrong!!

    Rich, Mar 11, 2011

  2. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    Yes, the GH2's focusing speed and accuracy are second to none. I
    recently tested one for a review and was amazed at how well it worked.

    The good news is that the contrast-detection AF system is being made
    available to manufacturers other than Panasonic. The system is not
    going to be ridiculously expensive so it will soon bring very fast and
    accurate AF to many point and shoot digicams and superzooms as well as
    the mirrorless compact system cameras (CSCs).

    Unlike the phase-detection AF system used in DSLRs, there are no
    front- or back-focusing errors. A properly designed system will allow
    a point and shoot digicam to focus faster and more accurately than a
    typical DSLR.

    Truly a paradigm shift in AF performance.

    Bruce, Mar 11, 2011

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I haven't tested the G2/GF2, etc, but I hope Panasonic doesn't ape
    Nikon and Canon and only reserves the fastest focus for the highest-
    end cameras.

    Rich, Mar 11, 2011
  4. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    The G2 and GF2 don't have it. Perhaps the rumoured G3 will?

    Bruce, Mar 11, 2011
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Depends if Panasonic is willing to "spread the wealth" to its lesser
    models.

    Rich, Mar 13, 2011
  6. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    Other companies* are prepared to spread this technology to point and
    shoot cameras. It will soon become the norm on all except cheap
    budget digicams.

    Bringing DSLR-like AF speeds to non-DSLRs is a game changer. If
    Panasonic keeps it for its high end models, it will get left behind.

    *Ricoh is among the first.

    Bruce, Mar 13, 2011
  7. Rich

    PeterN Guest

    They would be foolish not to, at least in the beginning.

    PeterN, Mar 13, 2011
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    After having the displeasure of using a Nikon D5000 and experiencing
    its tragic focusing ability with a kit lens, I'd say not all companies
    share their better focusing technology with their lesser models.

    Rich, Mar 14, 2011
  9. []
    You must have had a faulty one, Rich, or been using it wrongly. I've seen
    no focussing problems with the Nikon D5000 with the variety of lenses I
    use.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 14, 2011
  10. Rich

    Bruce Guest

    Or the lens could have been faulty.

    Or Rich's report could have been faulty. I do wonder how he finds the
    opportunity to carry out tests on so many cameras and lenses. ;-)

    Bruce, Mar 14, 2011