    box to turn off this feature.)
    I've done this before.
    Is my Norton Antivirus stopping this from being displayed??

    02befree, Nov 15, 2006

  2. 02befree

    why? Guest

    Are you sure, I can't see your screen.
    Which, turned it on or off?

    That's a standalone PC in a workgroup or part of a domain?
    It may not matter but you didn't mention what OS Win XP Home / Pro or
    even Vista.

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2006

  3. 02befree

    02befree Guest

    Very sure. I have an XP Pro machine next to it and I compared the two to
    make sure I was following the exact steps to get to the "box". It works the
    way it's supposed to in XP Pro. I just looked on a Win 2000 Pro machine and
    in Normal mode there isn't a box either, but the Security tab is present and
    I can take ownership of a folder using this OS
    I turned it off to take ownership of a folder
    Windows XP Home
    One MS MVP made quite a statement on a post, reiterating the fact that XP
    Home would only allow changing Simple File Sharing in Safe Mode. (Not
    mentioned at all in MS Knowledgebase article that describles how to turn on
    or off in XP Home). Tried it in safe mode. No box. The last listing in the
    Advanced area is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items"

    02befree, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Home only has simple file sharing.

    To get to the real security box, boot in safe mode (where Home's
    prevention of you actually doing something useful is not started).

    And, no, SFS wasn't part of 2K, it was introduced with XP Home.

    For the purists - Home shipped a week before Pro did B)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 16, 2006
  5. 02befree

    Star Guest

    I ain't no MVP but if you go to:
    Take Ownership:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    It sure as hell says that you need to start in safe mode when using
    XP Home.

    Star, Nov 16, 2006
  6. 02befree

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:40:19 -0800, 02befree wrote:

    See you asked
    http://groups.google.fr/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    as well.

    The replies there also mention the dougknox site.
    http://www.dougknox.com/
    Ah, just wondered why use used a '?' after "isn't there".
    Not the same at all, XP Pro has 2 sharing modes.
    Simple File Sharing or Access Control List (ACL).

    Now that's just silly, Win 2000 doesn't have SFS at all.

    Compare against another XP Home system.
    As in ACL Win 2000 / XP Pro, both do it that way.

    Look up the NAV help.
    Try looking to see if there is a registry enable / disable option.

    Usual sources
    www.google.com
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com
    for XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com
    http://www.aumha.org/

    This site has lots of regedits, a simple few lines that enable / disable
    functions.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

    Me

    why?, Nov 17, 2006