Use of router MAC address by ISP

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Bob K, Nov 4, 2010.

  1. Bob K

    Bob K Guest

    I run one node in a network where the computers communicate via IP
    address. The software used is proprietary, doesn't use URLs, and
    doesn't have the ability to sense when a connection has dropped out.
    (The protocol used is UDP.) So, it makes life much easier if I have a
    relatively constant IP address.

    I have a router, and a backup router, and in the setup for both I
    designate the MAC address of still former router. My ISP doesn't really
    know should I swap routers -- and I seem to draw the same IP for long
    periods of time. But, the IP address they give me is considered
    dynamic, not static, so it is subject to change.

    Should I hang some other device on the DSL modem (like a computer), it
    will draw a different IP, but when I put the router back on line, it
    will still pick up the IP it had been using. I assume if there was a
    long period, where the lease had expired, that might not be true.

    The present router is now almost a year old, and from the beginning I
    have been in constant communication with the manufacturer about a
    software problem with it. They have supplied several firmware updates,
    none of which fixed the problem I was having until just now. But, I
    have seen other things changed and generally improved over the period of
    time. Finally, the problem I was having has been fixed.

    However, with this latest firmware update, another quirk popped up. It
    no longer seems to recognize that I am trying to specify a MAC address
    different from what the router was assigned when it was manufactured.
    At least, when I installed the latest firmware, I was issued a new IP by
    my ISP, and it doesn't make any difference whether I tell the router to
    report out a MAC I specify, or to use the one the router has.

    I complained to the router manufacturer about this, suggesting that
    possibly they had a new bug in the firmware. (At this point, since we
    have had to reconfigure the network nodes for the new IP, and I am now
    running with the default MAC in the router, even if they were to fix it,
    I wouldn't change things here now.)

    The response I received was the ability to specify the MAC address has
    no effect on the IP address that I receive, and that ability is provided
    in the router only for where a ISP is using a MAC address for
    validation. Is that true? I know in my own LAN I use DHCP but reserve
    IP addresses for specific computers based on MAC.

    Did the firmware update contain something buggy, or did my ISP decide it
    was time to give me a new IP at exactly the same time?

    ....Bob

    Bob K, Nov 4, 2010