Use Linksys E2500 router as access point only (No internet connection)

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Harold A Climer, Jun 23, 2012.

  1. I do not know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I
    will ask anyway, so I might find the right place to ask the question.

    I have a Linksys E2500 Dual Band router that I would like to use as a
    access point only (To connect several Desktop computers and two
    wireless Laptops that I use in my home.) I only have access to dial up
    Internet service at my "in the sticks location", so using the enclosed
    installation soft ware on the CD is useless,
    I do not want to use the router abilities to connect to the Internet.
    Both customer support at Cisco and the Cisco forums are either useless
    or obtuse.
    I got the router for free from a man in the computer business who is
    retiring and gave it to me.
    Is it possible to do this or not?
    If not, is there an inexpensive wireless access point only that would
    work?
    Harold A Climer
    Dept.Of Physics,Geology,and Astronomy
    U.T Chattanooga
    Room 223 Grote Hall
    615 McCallie Ave
    Chattanooga TN 37403

    Harold A Climer, Jun 23, 2012

  2. Harold A Climer

    Char Jackson Guest

    alt.internet.wireless is good and possibly has more eyes watching it.
    If the goal is to have this unit serve as the communications hub for
    your various computers, (some wired and two wireless, right?), then
    yes, it's pretty straightforward. As long as you're not trying to
    share a dial-up Internet connection, you're probably fine.

    I would do a factory reset on the router to return it to its defaults,
    since it was given to you and you may not know what changes have been
    made to it. Log into the router and change the SSID to something
    unique, select WPA2 Personal (PSK, AES) as your encryption method,
    then enter a passphrase that the laptops will use to be able to
    connect wirelessly.

    The desktop (wired) computers will each need an Ethernet port, which
    is fairly standard these days. Connect an Ethernet cable from each
    desktop computer to a LAN port on the router. Leave the router's WAN
    port unused.

    On each laptop, scan for wireless networks, find your SSID, connect
    and enter your passphrase.

    At that point, the desktop computers should be connected to the router
    with Ethernet cables and the laptops should be connected to the router
    wirelessly. Next, set up a Workgroup or Homegroup, whichever is
    applicable, and share some folders. That's about it.

    The only thing I'm not sure about is the dial-up Internet access, but
    forge ahead and see how it goes.

    Char Jackson, Jun 23, 2012