  1. Is it beneficial to use both adapters on a laptop at the same time? Will it
    be faster?

    Fred

    Frederick R. Hutchings, Feb 15, 2010

  2. Hi
    Nope, you can Not use them at the same time.
    Using two Network cards together (aka, as teaming) need special hardware and
    real Server OS.
    If you would like you can leave the two On and configure the Metrics for
    preference.
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 16, 2010

  3. Jack,

    Thanks very much! I use the wireless during the day and the wired for
    nightly backups. With the Metrics, all I have to do is plug in the cable,
    and the wired takes over. When I unplug it in the morning, it goes to
    wireless. Perfect.

    I set the Metric of the wired connection to 10 and the wireless to 20 so
    that the wired connection has preference, as the article you recommended
    suggested. I rebooted.

    When I plug in the cable, they both stay connected, but the wired connection
    appears to be the only one in use. The wireless icon still shows activity
    very intermittently, maybe once each time I access something on the network.
    Is that normal?

    When I unplug the cable, it obviously uses the wireless.

    Just what I am looking for.

    Fred

    Frederick R. Hutchings, Feb 16, 2010
  4. Frederick R. Hutchings

    HalfCalf31

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes we can!!

    Sorry if you already found the answer, but here it is just in case.

    Cisco routers are able to make two connections to one device, depending on the types of connections it's either unequal cost path load balancing, or equal cost path load balancing. The router will transfer the data through both connections, it'll increase file transfers, maybe downloads depending on your connection to the modem, what your plan with the ISP is, but it should increase your download speed, most slow connections are a result of the wireless connection. You usually find this being used with servers, or NAS devices, usually where multiple users or other devices are sending/receiving data from the storage devices. If it's set up properly, it will make a noticeable difference. If you want maximum speed for a laptop, you're best bet is getting a Cisco Gigabit router with wireless-N, or wireless-AC, unless you're using a desktop, then two cat6 connections would be... just.... wow. Hope this helps

    HalfCalf31, Nov 15, 2012