    Anyone else have similiar issues with USB wlan devices or know of a good
    reliable make ???

    url:http://myreader.co.uk/gp/1021-1.aspx

    Andy Castledine, Dec 1, 2007

  2. Andy Castledine

    Conor Guest

    All USB Wifi adapters are shit. All of them. Without exception.

    Conor, Dec 2, 2007

  3. Andy Castledine

    Rob Morley Guest

    Castledine
    says...
    USB networking never seems to work very well - a wireless ethernet
    bridge should do a better job.

    Rob Morley, Dec 2, 2007
  4. Andy Castledine

    Mortimer Guest

    But they have the advantage over PCI adapters that the aerial is not
    potentially in the shadow of the PC's case and the adaptor (plus aerial) can
    be positioned on the end of an extension USB lead higher up in a position
    that gets better singal strength with the router. Of course you could get an
    external aerial for the PCI card as an alternative. Similarly, a USB device
    can be more convenient than a PCMCIA card for a laptop because it is easier
    to plug in and remove when the laptop is being transported, and is less
    prone to being bent or snapped off than a card when the laptop is placed on
    a soft surface like a bed or settee. I'd advise that a USB device should
    always be used on an extension lead rather than plugged directly into a
    laptop.

    Mortimer, Dec 2, 2007
  5. Andy Castledine, Dec 2, 2007
  6. Andy Castledine

    Conor Guest

    Completely negated by the piss poor transmitting and receiving
    capabilites of the USB adapter.

    Conor, Dec 2, 2007
  7. Andy Castledine

    Mortimer Guest

    So how do you explain the fact that a PC and router can communicate by USB
    adaptor and not by PC adaptor? I've seen several networks where this is the
    case. Typically the PCI card will communicate fine if the PC is turned the
    wrong way round (CD drives facing towards wall, PCI card facing towards
    router).

    This is with Netgear DG834G or PN router and Belkin Wireless G or Netgear
    WG511 PCI card (do I mean 511 or 311 - never can remember which is which).
    Netgear WG111 USB gives better reception providing it is located correctly,
    away from case of PC and movded around for best reception.

    Mortimer, Dec 2, 2007