USB Wireless Networking Card

Discussion in 'Wireless Networks' started by FlyingFish, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. FlyingFish

    FlyingFish Guest

    I am going to be traveling with my laptop (for the first time) during the
    next few months. I do not want to be fully depending on an unsecured port to
    access the internet. Therefore, I would like to purchase a USB Wireless
    Internet Card (I believe it is called).

    Not familiar with it, what would be the best type to purchase and easy to

    FlyingFish, Sep 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  2. FlyingFish

    ohaya Guest


    I think that you're looking for something like a mobile wireless or
    mobile broadband plan, from, for example, Sprint or Verizon, or maybe
    AT&T, etc.? I don't use any of those, but you typically signup for a
    month fee, and the carrier sells (or you get it free sometimes) the
    appropriate (USB or maybe PC Card or ExpressCard) adapter.

    For example, I just checked the Sprint website, and you can get one of 2
    USB adapters free ($0.00) if you sign up with them (for a 2 year
    plan!!). On Verizon, the cheapest one looks like $19.99, and you can
    get a 250MB/month of 5GB/month plan, etc.

    Probably, what you'll want to look at most carefully is the monthly
    service cost, and also if they limit you to a certain amount of data
    (e.g., 5GB/month or whatever), depending on your anticipated usage.

    I think that sometimes you can get deals from places like CostCo or
    Bestbuy, etc., so you probably want to shop around...

    ohaya, Sep 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

  3. FlyingFish

    Lem Guest

    There are 2 very different types of USB wireless devices.

    The most common is a wireless adapter that connects to a nearby wireless
    access point such as your own router or a public hotspot such as
    Starbuck's, etc. This is not what you want.

    The other type is a device that combines both a wireless adapter and a
    modem to connect directly into a cellular telephone system that provides
    broadband Internet access. The 3 carriers that I'm familiar with in the
    US are Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T.

    If you are getting this specifically for a trip, you should consider
    whether you have to sign a long-term contract and what the coverage will
    be in the area in which you plan to travel.




    Lem, Sep 11, 2009
  4. FlyingFish

    FlyingFish Guest

    Thank You

    FlyingFish, Sep 12, 2009
  5. FlyingFish

    FlyingFish Guest

    Thank you. I appreciate the info
    FlyingFish, Sep 12, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.