    laptop and it is preventing this wireless adapter from communicating
    with the internet.

    Any suggestions?

    Slaz, Feb 9, 2010

  2. Slaz

    Lem Guest

    *What* IP address and Subnet Mask do you get?

    Most likely, you mis-entered the WEP key (you really should be using
    WPA2 or WPA).

    Lem, Feb 9, 2010

  3. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Getting a IP address of 192.168.254.6 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0
    I have the right password as I went in and changed it to a "wrong"
    password and I wouldn't get a Ip address or subnet. When I changed it
    back to the right password; the Ip and subnet addresses came up.

    Slaz, Feb 9, 2010
  4. Slaz

    Lem Guest

    I apologize. You are authenticating to the wireless router.

    Perhaps when you originally configured your router you enabled
    additional security features. For example, some routers can be set to
    deny Internet access to specific computers, either by assigned IP
    address or MAC address. Also, depending on how you turned off your
    firewall, you may not have disabled it for the USB adapter (each network
    connection is firewalled separately; check in "Network Connections").

    Lem, Feb 9, 2010
  5. Hi
    Did you disabled any other Network card while you are using the USB?
    If Not, then try to right click on them and Disable.
    As far as Firewall goes, sometime Disabling it is Not enough, make sure that
    the Firewall Trusted zone covers the subnets that you are using.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#trusted
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 9, 2010
  6. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    You forget that I can connect with the laptops own internal adapter. It
    is only when I try and us the USB adapter; that I can not connect.
    Me thinks I screwed something up. Reason being this past Xmas season we
    went to another city and stayed with my in laws who do not have
    internet. I was able to connect to the neighbors via the wireless
    adapter in question; but not right away and I changed settings back and
    forth until I eventually received a connection. The stupid think was
    working than; why it won't work now is beyond me. ( The wireless adapter
    works on my wife's laptop and my desktop; just not my laptop!)

    Slaz, Feb 10, 2010
  7. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Disabled the Laptops network card with negative results.I use Firefox as
    my browser and Thunderbird as my mail reader. They are both in the
    trusted zone. I even deleted them and re-entered with negative results.

    Slaz, Feb 10, 2010
  8. Slaz

    Lem Guest

    I didn't forget at all. Your USB adapter has a different MAC address
    than your built-in adapter. Thus, if you had configured your router to
    only permit Internet access to the MAC addresses corresponding to your
    built-in adapter, you would see exactly the symptoms your report.

    The same holds true for your firewall (see also Jack's comment). As I
    wrote, the firewall may well be configured separately for each network
    adapter (that's how the built-in Windows XP firewall works). So again,
    if you "disabled" the firewall only for the built-in adapter but not for
    the USB adapter, you'd get exactly the symptoms you report.
    Here's another experiment you can try: take your laptop to a public wifi
    hotspot (e.g., Starbuck's). First try to connect with the built in
    adapter. Assuming that works, *disable* the built-in adapter using
    Device Manager and connect the USB adapter, and see if that works.

    Lem, Feb 10, 2010
  9. Hi
    Allowed applications is Not the Trusted Zone.
    Trusted Zone is it range of IPs allowed.
    You showed IP 192.168.254.6 So if you put in Trusted Zone 192.168.254.*
    Any IP that starts with 192.168.254.x would be allowed to through the
    Network.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 10, 2010
  10. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Thanks for your trouble. I will look into that.

    Slaz, Feb 10, 2010
  11. Slaz

    Slaz Guest

    Actually I was going to try something like that. I was just going to
    wardrive; but we have a Starbucks a few minuets away. I will try. Thanks.

    Slaz, Feb 10, 2010