    Think it's called a USB 1.

    BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP

    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 8, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Brian Guest

    at the best around 11 mins

    Brian, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Hi,
    |
    | Realize this can only be a true guestimate, bu can anyone
    | please offer an opinion as to approx. how long it might take
    | to transfer, e.g., 1 GB of text files from an old PC to a new
    | one.
    |
    | Would be using the old USB type port (which is all the 5 yr old PC has).
    | Think it's called a USB 1.
    |
    | BTW: old PC has W98, new one would have XP

    You do realize you need a custom cable for that? You might find it less
    expensive to put a NIC in each system (the new one probably already has a
    10/100 ethernet NIC), and connect them with a crossover cable. I buy NICS
    for less than $10, and cables less than $5.

    Or, do the job for free: take the hard drive out of the old PC, and put it
    in the new one. For a data transfer, the simplest is to unplug the power and
    data cables from the CD-ROM and plug the old drive into those instead. (You
    don't have to play with the jumpers that way.) After it's done just plug the
    CD-ROM back in. (Of course, all of this MUST be done with the power off...)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 9, 2004