    I have a USB to IDE manufactured by R-Driver ii. It deoesnt work with
    Windows XP Home edition. It says USB is recognised but the device is
    not. Can anybody help?

    ind_123, Jul 30, 2007

  2. ind_123

    smackedass Guest

    1) Does it need a driver?

    2) Did you try another port?

    3) Did you try with another computer?

    I've seen this kind of thing before (with different hardware), while I've
    never been able to pinpoint the problem, if you play with it a little bit,
    you'll probably get it going.

    Sorry I couldn't offer you something a little bit more methodical.

    smackedass

    smackedass, Jul 30, 2007

  3. ind_123

    ind_123 Guest

    I think it needs a driver but here is what happens

    It gives me message that recognised "USB-IDE"
    then as "USB Mass Storage "
    then it pops up saying "Failed to install new hardware"
    reason being that device is not recognised. I dont know how to solve
    it.

    I tried different ports.
    I even tried different computers
    same thing.

    ind_123, Jul 30, 2007
  4. ind_123

    Gerard Bok Guest

    Recently I solved a similar problem by jumpering the drive as
    Cable Select.
    (Don't ask! I know the manual says 'strap as master' :)

    Gerard Bok, Jul 30, 2007
  5. ind_123

    ind_123 Guest

    How did you do that for a laptop drive? I just dont understand why I
    would set it to master drive?

    ind_123, Jul 30, 2007
  6. ind_123

    smackedass Guest

    Some of them have adaptors for some types of laptop drives. And some of
    them need to be jumper set for master, and some for cable select. Maybe
    there's even one or several out there that needs to be set for slave, but
    follow the manufacturer's instructions.

    sa

    smackedass, Jul 30, 2007
  7. ind_123

    Gerard Bok Guest

    Mine wasn't a laptop drive :)

    Bottom line: do as the manual instructs.
    And if that doesn't work: be creative. While carefull :)

    Gerard Bok, Jul 30, 2007