    me. I can set the jumpers to either VCC5V or SB5V. Which one is
    better? What's the difference? What should I set things to? Advise
    please.

    Scribner, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Scribner

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:28:37 -0700, Scribner wrote:

    A small mention of the motherboard model/make sometimes helps.
    Should the SB5V you mention be 5V SB?

    Anyway, as SB is standby power it looks like the option is to power the
    USB ports from the system VCC 5V or if you have a USB device when
    activated / plugged in it will get power from the standby with the PC
    off.

    See the manual for your motherboard.

    I am sure I saw something about that on a Dell, if on SB it's possible
    to charge a USB mouse with the system off.

    Me

    why?, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    Ah, I did not think that the m/b's make & model was relevant. Since
    it is, it is a PC Chips P23G v.3. As for the punctuation, I copied it
    right out of the manual verbatum. I was unaware of any spacing
    requirement. The depth of my ignorance is revealed. As is the
    lack of information in the motherboard manual. Which is why I'm
    trying to decide which USB function I should choose.

    Scribner, Apr 16, 2007
  4. Scribner

    Deano Guest

    PC Chips, that brings back bad memories. You just need to devour that
    manual to work out what plugs in where.

    Deano, Apr 16, 2007
  5. Scribner

    why? Guest

    You never know.
    Then that's thier issue not yours.
    It helps to say.
    If you have USB networking, modems maybe rechargable device mp3 player
    then you can select wake on activation , recharge mp3 player with the
    main system power off.

    Me

    why?, Apr 16, 2007
  6. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    So if I jumper 5V SB I will have constant power, even if the system is
    off. Corerect? Which means that "SB" stands for Stand-by." Thanks.

    Scribner, Apr 16, 2007
  7. Scribner

    WhzzKdd Guest

    That sounds logical to me. For instance, I've seen a number of posts about
    USB mice having lights on when the PC is off. For mice with recharge
    cradles, that would be excellent. For mine, not so much <g>.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 16, 2007
  8. Scribner

    why? Guest

    No, Vcc should only be live when PC powered on fully. The other option
    SB (standby) is power on PC in standby mode.

    Where as USB port on SB is powered when system in standby to detect wake
    on LAN, wake on mouse / keyboard, provide power for recharge USB device.

    Most likely it's a case of most USB ports on Vcc, so they are all not
    powered when not in use i.e PC turned off. However as the SB load may be
    quite low, hence mouse / keyboard detect only you may want only 1 USB on
    SB.

    Try www.google.com

    USB Power - Tech Support Guy Forums
    Some motherboards have jumpers to select whether USB ports are powered
    by 5VDC (on when PC is on) or by 5VSB (standby power, always on). ...
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/532732-usb-power.html - 47k - Cached
    - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Apr 16, 2007