    then I tried to install it individually in the same USB Port on my pc and two other ports, see below. (an E-Machines 4028, with 3.06Ghz Intel processor, running 1GB of PC3200 memory),

    On each attempt, it showed up on the screen as a generic USB hub installation, depsite re-boot after each attempt did not work.

    Does anybody have any hints to offer about installation and the problem at hand? Just to inform you, I tried 3 out of 4 possible USB sockets on my pc and got the same problem with all of the USB ports. I'd try an update of drivers, but, I'm not sure how to do this, as the list of potential hardware options is bewildering. If I choose the 'let me decide' option, I just get a generic hub driver, that eventually tells me it can't install the relavent software for the generic hub..

    jmcgovern, Mar 4, 2007

  2. jmcgovern

    philo Guest

    1. a 4 port non powered USB hub

    2. a Lexmark Z65p printer, firstly connected to the hub, but, it wasn't
    recognised

    then I tried to install it individually in the same USB Port on my pc and
    two other ports, see below. (an E-Machines 4028, with 3.06Ghz Intel
    processor, running 1GB of PC3200 memory),

    On each attempt, it showed up on the screen as a generic USB hub
    installation, depsite re-boot after each attempt did not work.

    Does anybody have any hints to offer about installation and the problem at
    hand? Just to inform you, I tried 3 out of 4 possible USB sockets on my pc
    and got the same problem with all of the USB ports. I'd try an update of
    drivers, but, I'm not sure how to do this, as the list of potential hardware
    options is bewildering. If I choose the 'let me decide' option, I just get a
    generic hub driver, that eventually tells me it can't install the relavent
    software for the generic hub..

    If the USB ports on your computer are known to be good...then the USB hub is
    defective

    philo, Mar 4, 2007

  3. jmcgovern

    Soundblaster Guest

    I tried to install

    1. a 4 port non powered USB hub

    It is powered, it draws via the six pin connection to your PC.
    USB is available at 2 speeds - 1.1 and 2
    If you are cannecting a USB2printer into a USB1.1 hub then to PC USB2
    it will run at the slowest speed in chain - 1.1

    2. a Lexmark Z65p printer, firstly connected to the hub, but, it wasn't
    recognised

    then I tried to install it individually in the same USB Port on my pc and
    two other ports, see below. (an E-Machines 4028, with 3.06Ghz Intel
    processor, running 1GB of PC3200 memory),

    On each attempt, it showed up on the screen as a generic USB hub
    installation, depsite re-boot after each attempt did not work.

    That is correct for a hub, it runs from Windows on-board/"generic" drivers.
    For the printer to be recognised install it's software.

    Soundblaster, Mar 4, 2007
  4. jmcgovern

    Mike S. Guest

    Most printers require that you install the manufacturer's printer and
    virtual port drivers **FIRST** before ever connecting the printer to
    your computer, or else you will definitely get recognition problems and
    assignment as the wrong type of device.

    Did you install the drivers **FIRST**? If you did, and got this problem
    anyway, then I'd also check the computer manufacturer's web site for a
    BIOS update as these often address USB issues.

    Mike S., Mar 5, 2007