USB port does not work with USB2 devices.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pjdd, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. pjdd

    pjdd Guest

    I have WinXP SP2 on one of my computers which uses an Asrock
    K8VM890 motherboard. It was only after some 6 months of use
    that I discovered that it doesn't work properly with USB 2.0
    devices such as a pen drive or card reader - I just never
    plugged them into this particular computer before. It's OK
    with USB printers, game pads and a USB1 MP3 player.

    Either the devices are not detected at all or copied files
    are corrupted. Transfer speeds are slow and often stop in
    mid-transfer.

    I have USB 2.0 enabled in BIOS. Device manager shows all OK.
    I've reinstalled Windows and the mobo drivers - no change.
    Symptoms are the same for both rear and front ports. I don't
    use USB extension cables.

    I submitted a request to Asrock support two weeks ago, but
    no response. I downloaded the BIOS file, but it's the same
    version as that shown in POST - v1.00. Do you think a BIOS
    flash will help ? Anything else I can try ?

    pjdd, Feb 20, 2007

  2. pjdd

    Mike S. Guest

    BIOS updates have definitely been released to address USB issues on other
    manufacturer's boards, so it's probably worth a try on yours ... see if
    there are release notes.

    It may simply be that the on-board chipset or the drivers are buggy - or
    both. Does the board use a USB chipset that has native Microsoft support
    within WXP? If yes, then sometimes swapping between the native and
    OEM-supplied drivers helps.

    If all else fails, and you have an empty PCI slot, you can always spend
    $20 in an add-in USB2 card which almost always fixes things. Stick to the
    NEC chipset if possible.

    Mike S., Feb 20, 2007

  3. pjdd

    mianileng Guest

    Thanks for the reply, Mike. Like I said, the BIOS download
    at their site is v1.00, same as on my motherboard. There are
    no release notes.

    I'll look into the USB chipset drivers tomorrow. If that
    doesn't make any difference, maybe I'll just flash the BIOS
    anyway - tomorrow. It's past midnight here now, and I don't
    want to render my motherboard useless by making a mistake.

    mianileng, Feb 20, 2007
  4. Do you have the via chipset drivers for that one, from
    ftp://download.asrock.com/drivers/VIA/4in1/VIA_HyperionPro_XP64_MCE_XP_2K(5.07A).zip
    properly installed?

    Walter Mautner, Feb 20, 2007
  5. pjdd

    pjdd Guest

    It's on my download queue, but I haven't had a chance to see
    if it's any newer than that on my driver CD. It's not the
    computer I'm using now and the CD is buried somewhere in the
    next room.

    I'm on dial-up and downloading anything more than 1MB takes
    forever :(

    pjdd, Feb 20, 2007