    which connect a parallel printer to computer via USB...
    would this kind of plug also work for a parallel port
    scanner ?

    stuseven, Nov 28, 2005

  2. stuseven

    kenny Guest

    why do you ask? I have never seen such a cable. but in case it does not work
    for you.....

    there are PCI cards that have parallel ports if your pc does not have one.
    If you are talking about a laptop there are pcmcia cards with parallel
    ports.
    Or you could always get an USB scanner since its faster than parallel.
    There are some really cheap ones around...

    kenny, Nov 28, 2005

  3. stuseven

    The Wanderer Guest

    What O/S are you using? When I upgraded from W98 to XP my rather antiquated
    Epson scanner (bi-directional parallel port) wasn't compatible with XP and
    I had to upgrade to a USB scanner.

    The Wanderer, Nov 29, 2005
  4. stuseven

    stuseven Guest

    ..."why do I ask" is for the following reason kenny,
    and thank you for replying...
    ...a standard parallel printer port is for sending
    signals to the printer... with a scanner, the primary
    signals are going from the device to the computer...
    the other replier mentioned "two way parallel
    connection", so this may be standard... Im not
    expert in this, but it occurred to me there might
    be problems using a scanner instead of a printer.

    stuseven, Nov 29, 2005
  5. stuseven

    The Wanderer Guest

    When I bought my original scanner, it actually came with a bi-di parallel
    port expansion card. Your PC will probably have one parallel port as
    standard, I wanted a second port so that I could use scanner and printer
    without having to change plugs or anything like that.

    Because I'd always had the second port, daft as it may seem, I'd never
    acually tried the scanner in the primary parallel port, but I'm pretty much
    certain that the primary port *will* be bi-di. My last printer connected to
    the primary port, but it's associated software could monitor the ink
    cartridges, paper tray, things like that, so the printer *must* have been
    sending info back to the PC, IYSWIM.

    The scanner cable was a standard parallel cable. All I would say, though,
    if you're thinking of buying a (possibly s/h) scanner, make sure it's
    compatible with whatever O/S you have on your PC.

    HTH

    The Wanderer, Nov 30, 2005