usb network adaptor dongle

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Paulie, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    hi,

    If I fitted a wireless 802.11g USB network adaptor dongle to my PC and one
    to my laptop would this be sufficient to form a wireless network?

    This is my first attempt at networking and am trying to learn as best I can.
    I think I understand the principle of a router, and the need to have a
    Ethernet modem to connect to it and then any other device with wifi built
    in or network USB dongle can connect directly with this to the internet.
    however I am trying to keep costs down and my tel line already runs nicely
    to the pc and is connected via USB connection. so I would have to replace
    this also. so as an alternative I was wanting to set up a wireless home
    network and use internet connection sharing between my wife's laptop and the
    xbox360 with my existing pc set up. I already use the Ethernet cable to
    connect to the xbox360 live but want to move it to another room. The dongles
    seem pretty cheap at around £15 each. Or alternatively I could fit a PCI
    wireless network adaptor to the pc and dongle the other 2. Any advice would
    be welcome. Apologies if this has all been mentioned before but I only just
    joined this group and I will read more posts later.

    Paulie, Feb 25, 2006

  2. Paulie

    John Steele Guest

    I would always recommend that you use a Wireless Access Point rather than an
    "ad-hoc" network.

    It is not clear whether you have a broadband connection and ADSL or Cable
    modem. I guess that you have ADSL with a USB modem.

    If you do then get a router that has an Ethernet port and a separate WAP or
    a combined Ethernet/wireless unit. Throw the USB modem away. Then any of
    your devices can access the net without any dependence on any of the others.
    It will cost a bit more perhaps but the end result is a lot better.

    John Steele, Feb 25, 2006

  3. Paulie

    Conor Guest

    Yes it will work but the range will be poor and you'll maybe get a few
    dropouts running ad hoc.

    Buy a ADSL Modem Router that has built in WiFi such as the Netgear
    DG834GT.

    Conor, Feb 25, 2006
  4. Paulie

    Trev Guest

    And if you get it from Amazon you will get 1 free USB S wifi adapter

    Trev, Feb 25, 2006
  5. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    so to try to get things figured in my small head, if i buy that one (Netgear
    DG834GT) it is a modem,router,WAP,firewall,wifi all rolled into one?

    and I can plug in via a ethernet cable into my network port and the
    telephone line in and that will give my pc full broadband?

    I then can buy USB network adaptor dongles for the laptop and xbox and use
    them all independant of the home pc even being on?

    If this is correct then what dongles should I buy? bearing in mind I would
    prefer not to pay for the expensive xbox one and the laptop does not have a
    pci port?

    thanks

    James

    Paulie, Feb 25, 2006
  6. Paulie

    Trev Guest

    Yes to most of that if you get the free WG111v2 dongle with the DG 834 G
    you can plug that into the laptop and it will connect to the net via the
    router and also be able to share files and printer with the main computer as
    for the Xbox I dont know what connections that has apart from the Ethernet
    you mentioned, You cold still use that.

    Trev, Feb 25, 2006
  7. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    hi that's good, but I can't find on Amazon where it mentions the free
    dongle?

    the Xbox has USB ports but it has to be a plug and play type apparently ?

    Paulie, Feb 25, 2006
  8. Paulie

    Trev Guest

    When you are on the more details page just below the picture
    It says claim a free USB wireless adaptor and gives details on how to claim
    it.

    Trev, Feb 25, 2006
  9. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    Paulie, Feb 25, 2006
  10. Paulie

    80/20 Guest

    SNIPPED
    The dongle is only available with the DG834G not the DG834GT mentioned by
    Conor. The page is slightly confusing, but stick with it click on this link
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/560102/ref=ed_qpe_dp_1_1/026-4684687-1143633
    and look under the picture of the DG834G, you will find a code - make a note
    of it and enter that in the promotion code box when placing the order. Note
    that you have to add both the DG834G and the WG111v2 to the order to get
    them both delivered and to have the promo code accepted.

    I ordered both from Amazon on Tuesday 21st Feb - they were delivered on
    Wednesday and took half an hour to have up and running, Desktop wired in and
    laptop using wireless. The DG834G doesn't keep dropping the connection like
    my ADSL modem did and I get perfect reception on the laptop with the WG111v2
    attached, it doesn't seem to matter where I go in the house. By the way
    update the software in the DG834G as soon as you have it attached to the PC.
    I wired the PC as I was advised, via this group, that it is safer.

    Extract from Martin Underwood's reply says it all:

    "That way, when you turn on wireless encryption (eg WPA) on the router, you
    can still
    talk to the router in case you can't get the PC to connect wirelessly to the
    router, whereas if you try to configure over wireless you'd have burnt your
    boats by enabling encryption because you'd then have no way to access the
    router to turn it off again."

    Best of luck
    Steve

    80/20, Feb 25, 2006
  11. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    thanks, the site is very confusing

    Paulie, Feb 25, 2006
  12. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    ok I will go with the recommendation of a DG834G with free dongle next week
    (after payday!) could you point me to the full advice that you had to set it
    up please at I cannot find it? the next frightening thing is the setting up?
    I am then going to set up the laptop and pc and if all ok then try the
    dongle out on the Xbox. if it doesn't work on the Xbox I will buy a
    different type dongle for it then. how big a difference does 54mbps make
    instead of 108? how does this relate in real terms to a 2meg broadband
    connection?

    Thanks for the advice people, very good.

    Paulie, Feb 26, 2006
  13. Paulie

    80/20 Guest

    Double SNIPPED

    I can't answer the point about the Xbox, I seem to remember seeing somewhere
    that you had to have a special wifi connector not a normal one, BUT I could
    be wrong about that. Suggest you start another question, specifically about
    the Xbox, when you have everything up and running.

    For a simple guide to setting up the DG834G click on this link:
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2004/q3/netgear-dg834g.asp it
    puts everything in plain English, but having said that you follow the on
    screen prompts for most of the time, this just explains what you are doing
    and why.

    Again best of luck.

    Steve

    80/20, Feb 26, 2006
  14. Paulie

    Trev Guest

    2meg broad band = 2Mbps wireless 54Mbps so it faster then the broad band
    but its slower then the USB 2 which is 480Mbps but its still fast enough for
    transferring as in reading and saving files from 1 HDD on computer a to
    computer B. The Ethernet cable will be 100Mbps still

    Trev, Feb 26, 2006
  15. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    Thanks that clear. I have ordered the DG834G and the dongle. Could not get
    the free thing to work but Amazon have said they will refund me the dongle
    costs. Have read the set up links thanks. Looking forward to giving it a go.
    Need to get the network bridge sorted for the Xbox live after.

    Paulie, Feb 28, 2006
  16. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    Hi,

    have got it up and running. had a sweat on for a bit but all done in under
    1/2 an hour. have not got my dingle yet so have not set up the laptop or
    xbox just have the connection with my desktop. seems good. have changed the
    name and login and set a wpa password so fingers crossed. thanks again

    Paulie, Mar 2, 2006
  17. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    oops meant dongle!!

    Paulie, Mar 2, 2006
  18. Paulie

    80/20 Guest

    What were you thinking of at the time?!?!?!?

    80/20, Mar 2, 2006
  19. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    don't go there, lol

    Paulie, Mar 3, 2006
  20. Paulie

    Paulie Guest

    dongle! fitted and network setup using wpa-psk with a strong password and
    Mac address pairing. so thanks all for your help and I will not bother you
    in this thread again. I start a new one when I have problems!

    regards James

    Paulie, Mar 3, 2006