    the 2GB keys, however I did try filling one with data and it did seem
    able to write and read a full 2GB - puzzling.

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    inferang, Feb 3, 2014

  2. inferang

    inferang Guest

    I've bought several USB keys on Ebay recently.

    (USB memory sticks in the shape of a key and under 3mm thick)

    Their capacity shows up as slightly greater than their stated or
    expected capacity:

    - a 2GB key shows up as 2.1GB

    After reformatting them I'm getting a more normal figure of 1.88GB for
    the 2GB keys, however I did try filling one with data prior to
    reformatting, and it did seem able to write and read a full 2GB - puzzling.

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    inferang, Feb 3, 2014

  3. inferang

    Daniel47 Guest

    "however I did try filling one with data and it did seem able to write
    and read a full 2GB"

    Did you try reading back the data ... to ensure it was all copied??

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Feb 4, 2014
  4. inferang

    inferang Guest

    Yes - it wrote it back to the HD fine.

    inferang, Feb 4, 2014
  5. inferang

    Daniel47 Guest

    Oh, o.k., but then when you re-formatted it, it was only 1.8'ish GB! So
    why re-format??

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Feb 5, 2014