USB memory card reader disappears on card insertion

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary C, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Gary C

    Gary C Guest

    I have a SanDisk SDDR-91 USB 2.0 CompactFlash memory card reader. The
    reader comes up fine every time after a reboot, with or without a card
    inserted into the reader. The problem I am having is that very often,
    when I insert a card into the reader, the icon and drive disappear,
    forcing me to reboot. This happens under both Windows 98 SE and
    Windows XP Home.

    I have nothing else on any of my USB ports, and the problem occurs no
    matter which port I use for the reader, and with all different brands
    and sizes of memory cards. The folks at SanDisk suggested that I
    install the reader in the leftmost USB port in my computer...which I
    find to be ridiculous. Even if this did make a difference
    electronically, how can they be so certain the the leftmost port will
    be best, without even knowing the type of motherboard or card that I
    am using?

    My problem would seem to be a voltage or overloading issue, but since
    I have nothing else installed on any other USB ports, I seriously
    doubt that this one device would be loading down the port.

    Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

    Gary

    Gary C, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Gary C

    druidh Guest

    I've seen a very similar reaction with my "no-name" 6-in-1" card reader, in
    my case built into a 2.3" disk bay. Only happend a couple of times and I put
    it down to static (or similar).

    druidh

    druidh, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Gary C

    tpc Guest

    I suspect you've got a lemon.

    I had roughly similar behaviour with a SanDisk SDDR-31 (USB1.1 CF
    reader): blue-screened Win98SE, leaving the icon & drive "missing" -
    under WinXP Home, I got the "installed" tones, followed by the "removed"
    tones, over and over and over...

    I called SanDisk, and their first question was, "How old is the unit?"
    Which for me is code for "it's dead, Jim." When I indicated it was too
    old (for an RMA or return), he resorted to a "let's re-install your
    drivers after pruning the old ones out of the USB scan tree in the
    registry". Which, of course, did nothing.

    I recently replaced the unit with a SanDisk 8-in-1 (because Costco had
    them in stock; in many ways I'd rather not have another SanDisk) and so
    far, so good.

    Hope this helps.

    Tom

    tpc, Apr 22, 2004