USB HDD enclosure with USB hub?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Does anyone have experience with a USB HDD enclosure with an integrated USB
    hub? I can find some on Google but none available in NZ (that I can find)
    and it would be an added bonus to hear a first-hand account of such a beast.

    I'm going to start using a laptop for my 24/7 computing needs to reduce
    electricity consumption and only fire up my main machine when I need
    something with grunt (rarely).

    However, the laptop I've paid for (but not yet received, Trademe,) only has
    two USB 2 ports. I'm going to need an external HDD for media files etc. and
    my mouse is also USB. (I don't think I'll use integrated pointing devices,
    I'll be using it at my desk anyway...) An enclosure with a USB hub would
    save me purchasing both seperately.

    The other option is a docking station I suppose. Does anyone have, or know
    where I can get a docking station for an R51 ThinkPad at a reasonable cost?

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:

    [snip]

    Sorry about the multiple posts, I don't think I've ever donw that before. I
    just left OE to do it's thing and saw repeated error messages from
    Motzarella.

    I'll flagellate myself later for commiting such a n00bish faux pas.

    Further to the first post, I've found the Cooler Master X Craft 350 RX-3SB
    (at least I think it's the RX-3SB) listed on TasTech's site but they say not
    currently available:

    http://www.tastech.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=249928
    http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&id=5342

    I'm not sure how well such a thing would work though. Having both a HDD
    enclosure and a USB hub in one would certainly save on deskspace and
    wallwarts. $72 inc. GST isn't bad, however sourcing one could be
    difficult...

    I quite like this (seemingly) cheap'n cheerful enclosure from Welland:

    http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_102&products_id=4712
    http://www.welland.com.tw/html/enclosure/757.html#

    It doesn't have the USB ports but, at that price I could get a dedicated
    powered USB hub. I like the fact that it's fan cooled but without more info
    I'm not sure how efficeint the cooling would actually be. Some companies
    seem to think just mounting a fan somewhere in the enclosure with little
    regard for airflow ill do the job...

    Oh well, the back's quiescant enough to allow me to go do some stuff in the
    garden for a while, I'll continue searching later.

    As before, any and all input appreciated...

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    Download Thunderbird.

    EMB, Nov 7, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    Last time I tried it (for a week) I just didn't like it, it didn't seem as
    user-friendly. T'was a couple years ago now though...

    This was a Motzarella problem I think. I kept getting a message back from
    the NNTP server (via OE) saying message not posted.

    Oh, another difference between R51 and R52 is R52 uses DDR RAM while R51 is
    SDRAM. (Been Googling.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "~misfit~" typed:
    I meant: R51 = DDR RAM, R52 = DDR2 RAM.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    I knew that and forgot to mention it.

    EMB, Nov 7, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    Murray Symon Guest

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/ is a very good forum for ThinkPads.
    Also, it's a good idea to download the Hardware Maintenance Manual
    for your model - they're all available online from IBM/Lenovo.
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do
    It helps to know the IBM 6-character product code (e.g. 1234ABC)
    to specify the exact build variant.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Nov 7, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Max Burke" typed:
    Thanks max, that looks interesting. The only downside (for me) is that all
    my existing big HDDs are SATA and that is IDE. :-(

    (I couldn't get the second link to work.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
    Ahh, OK. That shouldn't make much difference to performance. The FSB speed
    might though. It'll likely take me a while to get used to moving from a fast
    45nm C2D on a 266MHz FSB to a Pentium M on a 100MHz FSB. Still, a couple
    days and it'll become 'the norm'. :)

    I'm considering replacing the standard 40GB 4200rpm HDD with a Momentus
    5400rpm 160GB unit to speed things up a bit. Seagate claim that the HDD uses
    the same power as the older 4200 drives so heat / battery run-down shouldn't
    be an issue. What say you? Worth the ~$140 for the HDD?

    I can't wait to get the damn thing!

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Murray Symon" typed:
    Thanks, bookmarked for now, will join up later. :)
    I've downloaded a "Thinkpad Computer Hardware maintenance Manual" that
    covers the R50 - R51 series already....
    However I don't have the lappy yet and don't know the exact product code.
    I'll be downloading everything I can when I finally get it.

    Thanks,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 7, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    Murray Symon Guest

    That's exactly what I had my eye on to replace the original 30GB HDD
    in this T23. But I see that for another seven bucks Ascent now have
    a 250GB unit, also 5400rpm. As you say, my previous research found
    that the power/heat/noise would not be worse than the original drive.

    The T23 has an ultrabay where I can swap the optical drive for a HDD
    carrier (which I have) with a second HDD. I will probably use the old
    drive in this for backups, etc. Your R51 will probably have an
    Ultrabay too (but probably the newer spec one) for swappable devices.

    UltraBay reference: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Nov 8, 2008
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Murray Symon" typed:
    However, the 250GB drive is a Western Digital no? I'm a Seagate man. Can't
    beat the five-year warranty. :)
    Yep, essentially a free speed / capacity upgrade. (In terms of energy cost /
    heat production anyway.)
    Yeah, I've seen an "Ultrabay Enhanced" mentioned for the R51. However, if I
    were to replace the DVD-ROM / CD writer I think it has fitted I'd likely
    prefer to replace it with a DVD writer rather than a second HDD. If / when I
    upgrade the HDD I'll get a cheapie enclosure for the old one.
    Cheers Murray, I've been looking at that site on and off. I have decided to
    wait until I get the damn machine before the "newness" or novelty of it
    wears off before I even get it. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2008
  13. ~misfit~

    Murray Symon Guest

    Good point.

    If it wasn't for the steep price SSD would give even better gains.
    I see there are now 64GB ATA Notebook drives available from Ascent.
    I will be waiting for Moore's "law" to re-align the cost factor.

    The Ultrabay units are hot-swappable (or is that "warm" swappable?) so you
    can have both. I guess if you already have USB drives you won't need to
    go there. I also picked up an Ultrabay 3.5" floppy drive for about $5
    for those odd times you really need one.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Nov 8, 2008
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Murray Symon" typed:
    I like my Seagates. Any time I've had trouble with one it's been sorted fast
    and free.
    Mmmm. Nearly $400.
    I don't think Moore's Law is going to be as much use to people with [P]ATA
    interfaces when it comes to SSD 'drives' though. I doubt they'll still be
    making them in ATA flavour when they get cheap enough to be economically
    viable for machines that only have ATA...
    Once I've had the machine for a while and get things sorted I'll start
    watching Tardme for things ThinkPad and be asking my IT connected mates if
    there's any chance of some parts. That's one of the good things about
    ThinkPads, there tends to be a lot of ex-lease or surplus / obsoleted
    corporate stuff for them around. One of the other good things about
    ThinkPads is they've usually still got a good few years in them when the big
    boys retire them.

    Now that the Banias and Dothan (Centrino) chips, efficient and relatively
    powerful CPUs, are hitting the ex-lease dealers shelves it's a good time to
    be looking at a second-hand ThinkPad in preference to a new plastic
    fantastic budget machine that would cost twice as much and only be half as
    good and a quarter as well-built.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.