USB Flash Drive and 5 in 1 Memory Card Reader

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Col, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Col

    Col Guest

    Hello,

    I am running Windows XP Pro and have an internal 5 in 1 memory card reader
    (Smart Media, CF/MD, SD/MMC, Memory Stick and 1 USB Port).
    I also have a Bytestor 128 MB USB Flash Drive.
    Without the card reader installed the flash drive works ok and creates a new
    removeable drive when I plug it in to a USB slot. However if I install the
    card reader (which then creates 4 removeable drives for each of the slots)
    and then plug the flash drive into a USB slot it doesn't create a new
    removeable drive for the flash drive (so I can't access it).

    Windows plays the sound like a USB device as been connected and it also
    shows up in device manger under USB Controllers, but it just doesn't create
    a removeable drive for it.
    I should also mention that the Flash drive also creates a second floppy
    drive (B) which contains the security program that allows you set a password
    to lock and unlock the device - the second floppy drive is created both with
    or without the 5 in 1 card reader installed.

    Thanks,

    Col.

    Col, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Col

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I don't know if this will help or not, since I've only worked with one USB
    flash drive. I had similar problems since the laptop was on a network which
    required drive F: for login (Novell Netware). When the flash drive was in
    the PC, it automatically configured as F:, so the network was unavailable.
    If my boss logged in, *then* put the flash drive in, it would make the USB
    sounds, but not show up since F: was preassigned to the network. I fought
    with that for quite a while...until...

    I reassigned the drive letters of the Zip drive and CD-Rom. Now, the USB
    flash drive could load as E: instead of F:, and the network worked. The only
    disadvantage is that the CD is now some odd letter (I:, I think). I set the
    Zip back since there were multiple shortcuts to it.

    So...what I'd suggest is reassigning the drive letters of your flash card
    reader. On my HP, those were originally F: G: H: etc., but since I use a USB
    drive, and added new hard drives, I wanted things moved up. My CD and DVD
    will never change, so I named them Y: and Z:, then put the card readers at
    M: N: O: P: so they won't interfere with anything I add or take out. (I'm
    frequently swapping drives into the computer for troubleshooting...)

    Do you know how to reassign drive letters? Right-click My Computer, select
    Manage. In the left column find Disk Management (under Storage). Select the
    card reader you want to change, right click, and select "Change Drive Letter
    and paths...".

    Toolman Tim, Mar 2, 2005