USB error: "One of the USB devices attached to this hub has malfunctioned, and Windows does not reco

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Salil, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Salil

    Salil Guest

    Ok, this is strange.

    It's not a USB power error, at least as far as I can tell. And before
    you ask, no, the system is not under warranty.

    First, the config: I have a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop. It's been a
    great little workhorse, but suddenly I'm having an issue with one of
    the USB ports on the system. Specifically, when I attach ANY USB
    device to one of the ports (of course, the USB 2.0 port, not the USB
    1.1 port), I get the following error:

    "One of the USB devices attached to this hub has malfunctioned, and
    Windows does not recognize it."

    This happens with any device I plug into the port. The other USB port
    works fine, though. The same devices plugged into that port work just
    peachy. In Device Manager, there are four Intel 82801DB/DBM host
    controllers (one "Enhanced USB 2.0") and all four appear normal.

    Has this USB port gone bad?

    Salil, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Salil

    Pirate Guest

    --
    I had a simular problem at xmxas when i got a exturnal hard drive I had
    to install the SIS usb drivers because somehow my system had started

    How this helps

    Pirate

    Pirate, Mar 24, 2007