    CDs start to become antiquated.

    Thanks

    Bruce

    CargoTrailerStore, Mar 31, 2008

  2. CargoTrailerStore

    why? Guest

    No chance of getting an Ethernet connection and network it?
    USB floppy, dirt cheap and easy.
    You wouldn't want to help by saying what OS you are using?

    Another option depending on OS is direct cable connection, like a serial
    / parallel file transfer. Or if you get a USB file transfer cable (needs
    a 2nd PC) it may come with driver for several OSs.

    Me

    why?, Mar 31, 2008

  3. You may have the lower/upper filters registry problem. Did you (un)install
    some cd burning software recently?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 31, 2008
  4. Thanks for your reply,
    No the CD is not a writeable CD, this is an old Win98 system. : )

    The other guy that answered may lead me to a useable answer, but if you
    have any suggestions, I'm anxious to hear them.

    Whats "the lower/upper filters registry problem"?

    CargoTrailerStore, Mar 31, 2008
  5. The OS is win98, it is an old machine (by today's standards)
    Would the USB File transfer cable work on win98?

    That would be a pretty cool solution, or possibly a USB floppy drive (but
    could run into the same/lack of a driver problem) as it might have some use
    down the road (then again maybe not), as I seem to keep acquiring machines
    from people and may try to copy old OS floppy disks to CD or something else.

    CargoTrailerStore, Mar 31, 2008
  6. CargoTrailerStore

    PeeCee Guest

    Bruce

    Windows 98 requires the installation of a driver for each USB device you
    plug into it.
    (& thats Win98 SE too, plain Win98 is not very compatible with USB if I
    remember correctly)
    Because Windows 98 is not used very much in business USB device makers save
    the cost of a CD by saying the Win 98 drivers are on their website.

    The simplest way of getting your data off is to take the hard drive out,
    mount it in an external USB drive caddy, plug the external USB drive caddy
    into a Windows ME or later PC with a burner and burn your data off to CDR or
    DVDR.
    I would venture the local computer store would be able to do this for a fee
    not to much more than the cost of a USB floppy or USB data transfer cable,
    both of which are likely to give you problems with drivers.

    Yes you are right to be concerned about your data residing on a floppy disk.
    But this is true of all 'data' archives be they on stone, parchment, paper,
    floppy, tape, disk whatever.
    What you have to do is regularly move the data to the current mainstream
    storage medium.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 31, 2008
  7. Ah ... assuming (from the "USB2") you were using XP ...
    Win98 may not even with specific drivers know how to deal with USB2.0 ...
    With win2k and xp, cd burning software or directcd/incd places some registry
    entries that may lead to malfunction of cd/dvd drives (writeable or not)
    after subsequent changes/uninstalls.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 1, 2008
  8. CargoTrailerStore

    chuckcar Guest

    You need your Compaq recover CD plain and simple. It has everything on
    it in zip files. A bit of opening and examining should give you the
    driver.

    chuckcar, Apr 1, 2008
  9. CargoTrailerStore

    why? Guest

    The original not SE then? Could be an issue.
    I don't know, you could look for usb transfer cable Win 98 from
    www.google.com

    1st hit, Belkin
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=275561
    Windows ME, 2000 or XP.

    Depending on country / local suppliers you may find something less
    expensive to do the same job.

    http://www.vpi.us/usb-link.html
    The USB 2.0 Vista-Compatible Data Transfer Cable provides a hassle-free
    way to transfer files from Windows operating systems
    (98SE/2000/ME/XP/Vista) to a Windows XP or Vista

    Then there are USB to Ethernet adapters,
    http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-usblan.html
    PC Compatible: Win98SE, WinME, Win2000 and WinXP and Linux

    http://www.usb-ware.com/usb-2-usb-data-link-file-transfer-cable-uc250.htm
    Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP

    Just have a look around, please, it's not that difficult.

    Laplink is still around, last time I bought 1 of those it came with a
    serial 9/25 and parallel cable.

    That's called checking the specs before purchase :)
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 1, 2008
  10. CargoTrailerStore

    Soong Guest

    I have an old Win98 Laptop that would die if I put any OS that is more
    taxing on it, and I have quite a few USB devices that I plug into it.
    If you put the USB thumbdrive in another PC that can read it, you may find
    the Win 98 drivers on the USB stick on itself, some manufactures do this.
    then you could put the drivers on a floppy. Not very useful unless you have
    another PC that can read it, but a cheap and handy and a way of giving you
    the drivers.
    You could dial up and check the box to go online to search microsoft for the
    driver when installing the thumbdrive.

    But if you can dial into the internet you could email your data to yourself.

    Data transfer with a null modem cable and a copy of Laplink may be the
    easiest answer.

    Also, has the Laptop got a network port?

    Soong

    Soong, Apr 4, 2008