USB config for Windows Connect Now. Did this go anywhere?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by glenn.woodruff@gmail.com, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    One of the really clever features in SP2 was the ability to setup a
    wireless network device, like a consumer router, by plugging a USB
    flash drive into your computer, running the setup app in the control
    panel, then just plugging that USB key into the router. Here's an
    article plugging the idea-
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx.

    I thought that this was a great idea for a project I'm working on, but
    I'll be darned if I can find any simple routers with this feature.
    There's one (two?) expensive wireless servers that support this, and a
    press release from D-link on MS site promising more products to support
    this that aren't anywhere on the D-link site.

    Is there a list someplace of routers that have this feature? They guys
    at Fry's had never even heard of such a thing. And I live in Indiana,
    where the guys at Fry's usually do know what they are doing, believe it
    or not (if I only visited Fry's in California I wouldn't believe me
    either).

    Thanks in advance.

    , Sep 1, 2005

  2. "" wrote:
    > One of the really clever features in SP2 was the ability to setup a
    > wireless network device, like a consumer router, by plugging a USB
    > flash drive into your computer, running the setup app in the control
    > panel, then just plugging that USB key into the router. Here's an
    > article plugging the idea-
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx.
    >
    > I thought that this was a great idea for a project I'm working on, but
    > I'll be darned if I can find any simple routers with this feature.
    > There's one (two?) expensive wireless servers that support this, and a
    > press release from D-link on MS site promising more products to support
    > this that aren't anywhere on the D-link site.
    >
    > Is there a list someplace of routers that have this feature? They guys
    > at Fry's had never even heard of such a thing. And I live in Indiana,
    > where the guys at Fry's usually do know what they are doing, believe it
    > or not (if I only visited Fry's in California I wouldn't believe me
    > either).

    Well... one obvious solution is writing an utility that will take
    the XML and convert it to series of SNMP commands to the AP,
    over wired LAN. Fry can give it a try.

    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Sep 1, 2005

  3. I've got a bunch of the DLink stuff here. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05june13.mspx

    also

    If you have a DGL-4300, DLink just added support in the firmware last
    month for WCN over the network.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP