    the wireless network so she can use heer laptop anywhere in the house. Any
    help Please.

    JCW

    JCW, Mar 22, 2007

  2. JCW

    Lem Guest

    If she uses the USB 720 in her laptop, then she can use it anywhere in
    the house (and outside, as well).

    You can't connect a USB Aircard to any wireless router that I know of.
    They all expect to be connected to a cable or DSL modem via an Ethernet
    cable.

    On the other hand, if the desktop has a USB connector (unclear if the
    USB 720 requires USB 2.0 for full speed) and a regular Ethernet network
    adapter, you can connect the USB 720 to the desktop and then use Windows
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to share the Aircard's Internet
    connection via the NIC to one of the LAN jacks on the wireless router
    (NOT the "Internet" jack). If the laptop has a 802.11 wireless adapter,
    you can then access the Internet via the router. The only catch is that
    the desktop must be on in order for the laptop to connect.

    If you do this, you will have to change the LAN IP of the router to
    192.168.0.x (192.168.0.2 is good) and disable its DHCP server. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html for general directions, and see your
    router's User Guide for specifics.

    Lem, Mar 22, 2007

  3. Hi
    I doubt that you would find a Wireless Router with a WAN side USB port.
    Connect the USB720 to the Desktop. Make sure that the Desktop has a regular
    wired network card.
    Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only device (the principle
    here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html )
    Use Windows ICS to Route the connection (I.e do not use the Router for
    Routing).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 22, 2007
  4. JCW

    JCW Guest

    Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how I do...

    JCW

    JCW, Mar 24, 2007
  5. JCW

    JCW Guest

    I'll try again. The Aircard worked fine on either coputer by itself, but I
    still am not able to connect through a router due to the fact that there is
    no way to connect a cable from the modem (Aircard) to the router. Are there
    any ideas that I can try using the Aircard on the Desktop then connecting a
    device from there to get a wireless connection for the laptop? Thanks in
    advance...
    (please be concise as I am not an expert) JCW

    JCW, Apr 9, 2007
  6. JCW

    Lem Guest

    As Jack suggested on 3/22, use Windows Internet Connection Sharing
    (ICS): setup ICS on the desktop to share the Aircard connection with
    the desktop's NIC; connect the router to the desktop's NIC using one of
    the router's LAN ports; set the router's LAN IP appropriately and turn
    off its DHCP server (Connect the Wireless Router as an Access Point only
    device (the principle here, http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html)); and
    do not connect anything to the router's WAN/Internet port.

    Lem, Apr 10, 2007
  7. JCW

    SG Guest

    SG, Apr 12, 2007
  8. JCW

    Lem Guest

    Lem, Apr 13, 2007
  9. Hey guys. GREAT info here! I was wondering if the same would work, kind of in reverse. If I have a laptop that I am going to run a Sprint PC card on (Non-usb), can I use ICS as per that link that was given and share the internet connection from the lan port on the laptop out to my Linksys Wireless G router? Would any of the steps change? Thanks alot!

    Christopher

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Christopher Evensen, Apr 18, 2007
  10. Hey guys. GREAT info here! I was wondering if the same would work, kind of in reverse. If I have a laptop that I am going to run a Sprint PC card on (Non-usb), can I use ICS as per that link that was given and share the internet connection from the lan port on the laptop out to my Linksys Wireless G router? Would any of the steps change? Thanks alot!

    Christopher

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Christopher Evensen, Apr 18, 2007
  11. Has anyone been successful with using a router yet? I purchased one and made my computer the router and the Router the hub. My lap top recoginzes the IP but it will not access the internet. I think there is something going on with the Verizon software blocking it from accessing the internet.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Chris Blackwell, Dec 5, 2007
  12. JCW

    ninerian

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was able to use a D-link 450 router with a PCMCIA to USB adapter to set up a wired/wireless network.

    ninerian, Feb 24, 2008
  13. JCW

    Jeff Cosby Guest

    All,
    I have been using USB 720 on my wireless network at home for 2 years now. You just need a router EVDO capable. I bought a used Kyocera (KR-1) on ebay for $150.00. Also D-link and Cradlepoint make one. You set up the network as usual. I would advise using an external antenna for faster speeds.
    Jeff

    Jeff Cosby, Sep 26, 2008
  14. JCW

    wmalthou

    Joined:
    May 14, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Aircard Router

    Yes, ICS works ... (Internet Connection Sharing), ... BUT you are dependent on the software (Windows Firewall??? Yeech!) protection of the host laptop or desktop to keep idiots out of your machine(s). Try a Kyocera USB-Modem router/firewall or several other wireless routers with hardware/firmware firewall protection instead. Yes Virginia my little girl, routers compatible with USB aircards do exits, despite claims above that they are non-existent.

    wmalthou, May 14, 2009
  15. JCW

    wprice

    Joined: