    KerplunKuK Guest

    Does anyone have experience with USB 2.0 3.5" HDD enclosures? Any good bad
    points to be aware of?

    KerplunKuK, Jun 22, 2004

  2. KerplunKuK

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Don't unplug it without telling your OS that you want it disabled <g>! I
    have one - corrupted the disk when I ran out from work late and just yanked
    the cable out.

    Other than that, I *LOVE* it! I carry my work home regularly, and I keep my
    utilities (AdAware, SpywareBlaster, etc.) on it for those emergency visits
    to my friends house.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 22, 2004

  3. KerplunKuK

    Unk Guest

    I installed a HD removable caddy in the enclosure. The same type as the
    ones in my desktop. Makes it a snap to take EVERYTHING with you. (The
    backup copy, not the original:)) )
    It's amazing what you can do with a removable caddy installed in it.

    Unk, Jun 22, 2004
  4. KerplunKuK

    Toolman Tim Guest

    How cool!

    Actually, my USB box is for a laptop size drive, but it's basically no
    different than the 3.5". I like the caddys too...my aunt has a pair of 80
    gig drives and Norton Ghost is her backup. Me, my budget can't afford the
    extras, so the little external USB is "mirrored" to my "My Documents" and
    some other select folders. (I got the HD free with a laptop I purchased
    used, then bought the $30 USB case.)

    Toolman Tim, Jun 22, 2004
  5. KerplunKuK

    Richard Guest

    Some can be a bit noisy. Avoid the ones made of plastic with a fan to cool
    the drive and on board electronics. The quieter makes are metal cased.

    Richard.

    Richard, Jun 22, 2004