    not found one in my search. If you have one, is there a significant
    decrease in transferring times over the USB 1.0?

    Thanks in advance.

    Felice, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Felice

    Viper Guest

    Viper, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Felice

    D H Guest

    As has been mentioned before, you have several options. Mine is a Lexar
    Reader that does 6 formats, is USB 2.0, but I can't tell you how it differs
    from 1.0 in speed because that is all I have capability for on my computer.
    I'll use the 2.0 someday, I hope.
    You can find these at WalMart (in USA) for about $30, and I have had no
    problems with mine.

    D H, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Felice

    Guest Guest

    I have the lexar and it works great also.

    Guest, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Robert E. Williams, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Felice

    john Guest

    personally I don't see the point of going to USB 2.0 for Smartmadia. if
    I've not mistaken the highest capacity for SM is 128MB, and it seems like
    there's no intention to go beyond 128MB.

    with USB 1.1 or 2.0 transfering that (relatively small) amount of data, the
    time difference between the two is not very significant.

    but if you are getting a multicard reader, a USB 2.0 can definately an
    advantage for media with higher capacity (> 512MB?)

    just a personal opinion.

    john, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Felice

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have a USB 2.0 6 in 1 reader that will read SM cards. I suspect that
    little will be gained by using USB 2.0 for these cards, however.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 29, 2003
  8. I don't know why you guys keep saying that. I upgraded from a USB 1 SM
    reader to a firewire and the speed increase is dramatic.

    As far as the "only" 128MB goes, it's a lot nicer to download card in a
    few seconds rather than a minute or so.

    Charlie Dilks, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Depends. If the reading speed of your SM doesn't exceed some 700 kB/s,
    then the card is the limiting factor. With a faster card USB 1.0 is the
    limiting factor.

    -p

    Piet Beertema, Nov 29, 2003
  10. Felice

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The reason we say that is that there is no speed rating on SM media.
    One really can't be sure of the transfer speed for a give brand of SM card.
    If you have a mix of types, maybe you can make some tests others can use.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 29, 2003
  11. Ron,

    My USB1 SM reader needed a new driver for my Mac G4 1.25GHz. I went as
    far as to download it, but it required me to quit all active apps and I
    wouldn't go that far, so I don't have a test of a USB1 reader.

    The Wipro site said this about Max USB speeds:
    <http://www.wipro.com/prodesign/reusableframeworks/usb/abtusb.htm>

    USB1.1 at low speed 1.5Mbps
    USB1.1 at High speed 12Mbps
    USB 2.0 at full speed 360-480Mbps

    I took 10 RAW images with my Oly 5050, they plus the 10 thumbnails were
    71.4MB.

    It took my firewire 400 reader 4.2 sec to read the card and 29 sec to
    copy the 20 files to a folder on my HD.
    That's 2.5MB/sec or using 10 as the factor, 25Mb/sec.

    LaCie uses 10 as the factor for their firewire drives:
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10022
    Interface Transfer Rate : 400 Mbits/s
    Max sustained transfer rate : 40 MB/s

    That's twice as fast as high speed on a USB1. I don't know what speed
    USB1 reads SM cards. That will be up to people who are using them.

    Card was a San-Disk 128 MB Smartmedia. That's the only type I have.

    Charlie Dilks, Nov 29, 2003
  12. Felice

    Grease181 Guest

    Hi Robert,

    You can try the following site www.omegatechnology.com you'll find all you
    want there. I have one and it works perfect.

    Mike

    Grease181, Nov 29, 2003
  13. Felice

    Felice Guest

    Thank you for your prompt and informative response. The "Lexar" seems to be
    the answer.

    Felice, Nov 29, 2003