us robotic 56k voice modem keep dropping line

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pagan, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. pagan

    pagan Guest

    pagan, Feb 2, 2004

  2. pagan

    °Mike° Guest

    Subject goes up ^^^^^ THERE ^^^^^^

    Question goes >>>>> HERE <<<<<<

    Read before posting >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm <<<<

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:07:14 -0500, in
    <>
    pagan scrawled:

    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Out of interest, what does the US robotic voice say, when it drops the line?
    Something along the lines of "Danger, Will Robinson!"?

    Trevor §m¡th, Feb 2, 2004
  4. pagan

    pagan Guest

    you guys are an real hilarious bunch.....go to las vegas if you have
    nothing better to do..
    just answer the question or if you have nothing to say SHUT UP!!!!!!!

    pagan, Feb 2, 2004
  5. pagan

    Boomer Guest

    What question?

    Boomer, Feb 2, 2004
  6. pagan

    pagan Guest

    Ok!!!!! I am no rookie....OK..
    This modem drops the line when left unattended...Its fine if I am
    surfing...but when I am downloading a file it drops in the middle..I
    want to know if I am not pinging the remote to server or not sending a
    keep alive signal??????? any answers??????

    pagan, Feb 2, 2004
  7. pagan

    °Mike° Guest

    Really? You could have fooled me.
    What OS?
    Downloading from where? With what?

    Read before posting >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm <<<<

    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2004
  8. pagan

    pagan Guest

    It just drops the line when left unattended...windows xp pro

    pagan, Feb 2, 2004
  9. pagan

    °Mike° Guest

    Considering you think you're not a "rookie", you're
    certainly making a dog's ear out of this post.
    Now how about answering the questions posed?
    And how about answering in the correct place?
    Sheesh!

    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2004
  10. pagan

    Dan Shea Guest

    I've made a dog's breakfast out of a lot of things, and you can't make
    a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I've never seen anybody make a
    dog's ear out of anything before.

    Prefers his metaphors shaken, not stirred,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 2, 2004
  11. pagan

    °Mike° Guest

    From "Dog eared" meaning tatty, or ragged.

    °Mike°, Feb 3, 2004
  12. pagan

    Dan Shea Guest

    Cool. Never seen it used as a verb before.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 3, 2004
  13. pagan

    Sano Guest

    Ah, binnin' the boob, with apologies to Janet.

    Sano, Feb 3, 2004
  14. pagan

    Mellowed Guest

    Pagan,

    Your post kind of got off on the wrong foot. That's why all of the
    flak.

    FYI, I also had a USR standard modem, not a Voice Modem, but, it also
    dropped the line. I upgraded the modem with a USR 5610 model and solved
    the problem. The 5610 was a Processor Modem. That being said, my 5610
    had a problem connecting with my new ISP at a decent rate. It only
    connected at 28K. When uploading the USR update it crashed. The RAM
    was screwed. A new 5610 would cost $75. So, I purchased a Best Data
    Products 56FW92 modem for $30 at Circuit City. It is a $45 list. It
    has been a great modem. No dropped lines, solid fax, relatively good
    connections speeds i.e. 42KB. (I live in the mountains with poor phone
    lines).

    In summary, from my experience I would suspect your modem. For the $30,
    try the Best Data Modem. It just might solve the problem.

    : On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:26:45 +0000 (UTC), "Trevor §m¡th"
    :
    : >Out of interest, what does the US robotic voice say, when it drops
    the line?
    : >Something along the lines of "Danger, Will Robinson!"?
    : >

    Mellowed, Feb 3, 2004
  15. pagan

    Trax Guest

    |> us robotic 56k voice modem keep dropping line.

    Try this:
    Start > Run, type in telephon.cpl <enter>
    Modems > Properties > Advanced
    Under "Extra initialization commands" type in ATS10=254
    (Letters in caps)

    This is an old trick keeping a modem connected if you have call
    waiting or someone picks up the extension.

    Trax, Feb 3, 2004
  16. And "making a dog's ear", which started your questions, isn't using it
    as a verb, either. Verb is "making". Direct object is "dog's ear".

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 3, 2004
  17. pagan

    Dan Shea Guest

    Come on -- if you want to be a pedant, at least do it imaginatively
    and with gusto.

    To be precise, "making" is not a verb itself, it's a verbal: the
    participle in the verb phrase "are (from you're) making". Moreover,
    in the bit I quoted, I left out the "are" (from "you're"), leaving us
    with only a partial verb phrase. So I've not only misidentified a
    verbal a verb, I've misquoted the original poster -- thereby
    strengthening my point (which was feeble to begin with) at his
    expense. What kind of fraudulent, misrepresenting idiot am I?

    Something like that. At least make it worth my while to read it.

    Contrariwise, if you were half as much a linguist and engaged,
    interested reader as you are a pedant, you'd say, "Verb, verb phrase,
    close enough for rock and roll." In fact, you'd likely think twice
    before making the bizarre assumption that I'd never seen "making" used
    as a verb before; you'd know (and hopefully make use of) the principle
    of charity.

    But I suppose if we all did that it would mean the end of Usenet as we
    know it...

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 3, 2004
  18. Wasn't a huge point; didn't need to waste a lot of time on it.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 3, 2004
  19. pagan

    Dan Shea Guest

    Shucks, we could have had some fun.

    Wait a sec... You're not *really* a pedant, are you? ;-)

    Sorry for indulging myself. It's been a while since I was on
    Usenet...

    Rapidly losing the topic of this thread,
    dan

    "I'm no slouch myself." "Oh, don't sell yourself short, Judge.
    You're a tremendous slouch."

    Dan Shea, Feb 3, 2004
  20. Oh, I dunno. :)
    Never have been; if it started recently, I haven't noticed it.
    That's easy. It's about...er...uhh...

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 3, 2004