    And yet when I got to a currency converter site I see this: 199.00 USD =
    96.2931 GBP

    Does anyone know why the the price should be so much higher in the UK.

    /\\BratMan/\\, Nov 20, 2007

  2. /\\BratMan/\\

    Marty Fremen Guest

    It's because Britain is essentially a theme park for foreign tourists,
    and residents get charged the same theme park prices as the visitors.
    It's not just cameras that are more expensive, almost everything is.

    One solution is to buy grey imports from Hong Kong via dodgy ebay
    dealers or cut-price online shops, and hope you won't need to claim on
    the warranty.

    Marty Fremen, Nov 21, 2007

  3. Companies set their prices based on what the market will bear. Just
    because the dollar is so weak doesn't mean that U.S. consumers will pay
    the same as British consumers. Our salaries haven't kept up with the
    falling dollar.

    As a side note, the spousal unit recently returned from a Mediterranean
    cruise withe her sister, where the ships staff were complaining about
    having their pay based in U.S. dollars, since it meant that their pay
    had been steadily falling in terms of their home country's currency.

    In the 1980's all U.S. residents ended up paying for the Reagan-era
    banking de-regulation that resulted in the S&L crisis, now we're paying
    again for the Bush-era lack of regulation of the mortgage industry.
    Attempted band-aids, such as the lowering of short-term interest rates,
    make the problem worse by weakening the dollar even more.

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 21, 2007
  4. /\\BratMan/\\

    Lew Guest

    Why not buy from the USA?

    Lew, Nov 21, 2007
  5. .....and pay high shipping charges, insurance, Customs Duty, VAT and
    forwarding agent's release fees? Boy, you sure have a lot to learn!

    DP

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 21, 2007
  6. Of course, if you, or a friend, colleague or neighbour is going there
    anyway.....

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 21, 2007
  7. /\\BratMan/\\

    Bates Guest

    The warranty does not transfer. At least with Canon in Canada if I
    buy gear in the US the warranty is valid in Canada as well (but it is
    not valid outside North America). With Nikon if I buy equipment in
    the US, the warranty is NOT valid in Canada, let alone the rest of the
    world.

    Bates, Nov 21, 2007
  8. /\\BratMan/\\

    notbresson Guest

    Its just rip off UK again.

    notbresson, Nov 21, 2007

  9. Tax?

    Remember that in the USA most mail-order sales are tax-free.
    (You'd be stupid to buy from a mail-order dealer in your own state,
    if you could avoid it.)

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 21, 2007
  10. Let me think ... when was the last time that any company from the UK ever
    produced anything that the rest of the world wanted ... hmmmm.....darned if I
    can think of anything at the moment. Well, there was the Beatles, but even they
    wanted the hell out of there. Okay, they gave a good push to the English
    language, but now the rest of the world is having to deal with and attempt to
    correct all of the problems with it. Maybe this is why they think colonization
    is such a wonderful thing, nobody wants them anywhere so they just move in
    uninvited and call it something good for everyone. There's three whole
    continents now full of people, who are the ancestors of everyone that wanted
    nothing better than to get the hell away from the UK and all it stands for. Oh
    wait. Don't they make some beers that some people like? Well, at least that's
    something.

    Other than that, nope, can't think of a thing that ever came out of the UK that
    everyone wanted to buy. Did any of them ever invent anything? How about if you
    start to produce something from your own companies then charge a mint for them.
    Then you can get even.

    Be a good chap. Now get busy! Tally-ho and all that rot, eh what? And I bet that
    all you UK blokes sit there all smug thinking the rest of the world adores your
    pompous asses. Think again.

    Now, back to our regularly scheduled program about photography and digital
    cameras....

    TheFrigginQueenOfEngland, Nov 21, 2007
  11. No, they're not tax-free, the retailer just doesn't collect the tax for
    other states unless they have a physical presence. You still have to pay
    the tax, but you're required to send it in yourself, usually when you
    file your state income tax (if any).

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Nov 21, 2007
  12. Stilton blue. But I have come to prefer Valdeon Blue from Spain. Granados
    over Elgar? Well, yes, but not for the same reason.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 21, 2007
  13. /\\BratMan/\\

    RichGK Guest

    Add VAT on to that figure as that is added after in the US.

    Then your have import costs to add. Probalby higher costs with
    transportation etc etc. It's probably not far off.

    RichGK, Nov 21, 2007
  14. Not in many states ... the courts have declared the law an unenforceable
    restraint of interstate commerce. These are state court decisions.

    Doug McDonald

    Doug McDonald, Nov 21, 2007
  15. /\\BratMan/\\

    notbresson Guest

    What's all that about?
    Seems an inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant about nothing in
    particular.
    Cheers
    Jeff

    notbresson, Nov 21, 2007
  16. /\\BratMan/\\

    notbresson Guest

    BODDINGTON'S BITTER

    notbresson, Nov 21, 2007
  17. /\\BratMan/\\

    Chris Savage Guest

    Do you think it might be a troll?

    Thanks for reposting the entire inaccurate, prejudiced, pointless, rant
    for those of us whose killfiles are working and didn't see it the first
    time.

    Chris Savage, Nov 21, 2007
  18. /\\BratMan/\\

    notbresson Guest

    I fell for it. Will not do it again.

    notbresson, Nov 21, 2007
  19. /\\BratMan/\\

    Bates Guest

    Okay, I'm really hoping this was entirely sarcastic but just in case,
    here is a small list:

    Many beers, Many single malts, Many cars, Many high end HiFi
    components (speakers, amplifiers, CD/DVD players), Many movies, Many
    books.....

    Oh and no - I'm not from the UK, but they have many products I
    covet.....

    Bates, Nov 22, 2007
  20. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Bartram Guest

    HP sauce! Other than that, the only good thing to come out of the UK these
    days is Qantas flight QF5 to Sydney...

    Paul (who left there in 1973)

    Paul Bartram, Nov 23, 2007