    Indeed they dominate the search engine market as much as
    MS do the desktop software and browser marketplace.

    is there a Linux version of Macromedia's Dreamweaver :)

    Jim Watt, Aug 22, 2005

  2. (Sign) Re-read.. we appear to have a language problem here, because..
    ..../that's/ actually a pretty good idea. You didn't actually /say/ it,
    though (hence my response).

    Good luck on getting hold of 'em, though - commercially sensitive data.

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 22, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    They sure do domainate and they do not force you to buy crapware either! Now
    that is domination I can live with...
    Soon. They are reportedly looking into a linux version. Man that would be
    sweet....that is the only application that I need winblows for....

    Im

    Imhotep, Aug 22, 2005
  4. This is a government web site, so it must meet the requirements of Section
    508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If the site it coded to accept
    only Internet Explorer, it simply cannot meet Section 508. There are blind
    and mobility impared users that need text interfaces rather than a
    graphical interface. So, if you see a site that doesn't render with Lynx
    (lynx.browser.org), you can be pretty suer that the site will not meet the
    requirements of Section 508.

    Hey web developers! Don't be lazy. Code to the following standards.
    1) all content in VALID (x)html
    2) all graphics need 'alt' descriptions
    3) formatting in CSS

    In the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats, Christ tells us to care for the
    handicapped. Anthropologists trace the beginnings of civiliation to
    evidence that people helped handicapped tribe members (e.g., evidence that
    people were fed while bones mended). No matter what your world view,
    addressing the needs of all citizens is the mark of civility. So code for
    everyone, not just users of the 'majority browser'.

    Robert Folkerts, Aug 25, 2005
  5. It's a lot harder than it sounds (although, according to El Reg, in this
    particular case [copyright applications] the W3C is wading in)

    1. Valid is good. Valid is easier than invalid. The problem comes when
    certain browsers don't function with certain standard functions. I leave a
    long-obsolete CENTER tag specifically for this (Mozilla/Firefox)

    2. We'll probably agree to disagree on this one - all *meaningful* graphics
    should have an ALT, but - speaking from practical experience - an utterly
    pointless description is merely a distraction to someone with vision
    problems. My father is partially-sighted, so this isn't some theoretical
    comment ;o)

    3. Like valid HTML, valid CSS is wonderful. But browser dependant. Nutscrape
    4.7 was particularly annoying in this respect, as one could set something
    /in/visible, but couldn't rely on it ever becoming /visible/ again. Very
    bl**dy welcome, when you've spent simply /ages/ building an entirely
    CSS-based menu system :eek:\

    Oh, and all of these take at least 190% longer than you thought they would.
    I'm generalising, but comments such as "it'll only take five minutes"
    usually come from people who not only have no clue how long something would
    take, but also no clue on even what's involved.

    Certainly not pointing fingers on that last one - just making a general
    comment. Well, if you know the floggie I have to work with... :eek:)

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Aug 27, 2005