US Federal Government to use more Open Source?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    news2.thing Guest

    uh....McNealy is not exactly pro-open source IMHO...."oh no, use Sun"
    comes to mind. Though I understand Obama's team use Macs as a
    choice....but are now "forced" to use PCs?....

    regards

    Thing

    news2.thing, Jan 25, 2009

  3. In message
    Certainly Sun had a schizophrenic attitude under his leadership. Possibly
    still does.
    I think they're keeping their Macs. And Obama still has his Blackberry--or
    at least, a high-security equivalent, the Sectera Edge.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 25, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    US Presidents and their staffs are not "forced' to use anything. If and an
    when an open-source desktop application comes along that rivals the
    performance and flexibility of Windows/OsX applications, then I'm sure it
    will get fair consideration.

    impossible, Jan 25, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    news2.thing Guest

    I think it had a public image and a private one myself and they were
    mutually exclusive...I am less sure that that is the case I
    admit.....pragmatism has won out to a degree...The "degree" bit is
    qualified as with most big organisations there will be sections/depts
    that only look to their profit and bugges any other.....so some
    managers might well be working at odds to whats best for Sun
    overall.....
    I would hope so....though I'd still prefer the iphone myself....

    regards

    thing

    news2.thing, Jan 26, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    news2.thing Guest

    If?

    LOL....Firefox springs to mind...

    regards

    Thing

    news2.thing, Jan 26, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    > wrote in message
    Yes, if.
    Firefox is a bloody browser. Who cares about that!?! I do believe the White
    House has work to do from time to time, and doing work is synonomous with
    running Windows or OsX applications.

    impossible, Jan 26, 2009
  8. You do realise that there is a huge amount of in-house software that
    runs as a web server now? So browsers are used all the time to do
    useful work other than browsing the Internet.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 26, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    Yes. And you do realise that very, very little of that is open-source?
    Browsers provide a display medium for the useful work performed by other
    applications. There's no functional difference between the lot of them,
    hence the fact that they are all free giveaway items.

    impossible, Jan 26, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    oneofus Guest

    irony alert

    oneofus, Jan 26, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    oneofus Guest

    Muahahahahahaha

    They did so well with Microsoft Outlook and Exchange !!!!!

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/white_house_email_archive_madness/

    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2008/04/bush-lost-e-mails.ars

    http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008/04/30/bush_emails/index.html

    oneofus, Jan 26, 2009
  12. Free software is not obsolete software.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 26, 2009
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    The applications you develop....Are these open-source applications? If so,
    please posts the source-code links so we can all see exactly how much work
    they really do.

    impossible, Jan 27, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    news2.thing Guest

    news2.thing, Jan 27, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    Some us us are fluent in VB, C, ++, and Chinese. Others, like you, are just
    plain ignorant it would seem.

    impossible, Jan 27, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    I see. So your point then is....?

    impossible, Jan 27, 2009
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    Ah, "Linux applications", not open-source applications. I get it. Sure, on
    the 2% of desktops that run Linux, there are some proprietary applications
    that, as you say, "do work". Good point.

    impossible, Jan 28, 2009
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    Nah, when 98% of the desktops run Windows and OsX, doing work **is**
    synonomous with running Windows and OsX. Time you faced facts.
    So you keep saying. A compiler? A text editor? What else?

    impossible, Jan 28, 2009
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    But all the software you develop is proprietary. Why is that?

    impossible, Jan 28, 2009
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    And because you can't generate value peddling open-source wares, which are,
    after all, free. Right?
    Yes, one can. But 98% of users choose not to do so. For them, doing work is
    synonomous with Windows and OsX desktop applications.

    impossible, Jan 29, 2009