URL Address for printer - Simple Question i think

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have set-up a wireless network in my home. Cable modem hooked up to my
    tower computer & then to a wireless router. Printer is connected to the
    tower computer (hardwired not wireless).
    I only have one other computer on the wireless network work group. I can
    share files back and forth, so the network must be working (?).

    When I go to the wireless laptop, to the add a printer feature, the option
    I need to select is :
    " Connect to a printer in the internet or a home office network. " Right?

    The confusion then comes into to what do type in for the URL? Example they
    provide is :

    " http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer"

    The other details i have are as follows:

    Tower computer with the printer, has name network name of: FAMILY
    Workgroup name is: MSHOME
    Printers share name is: HPDeskje
    Printer name seen in the icon for installed printers & faxes:HP Deskjet 5700
    Series

    What do i type for the URL name.address?

    Guest, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Guest

    BruceM Guest

    From memory you can tell it to search for any connected (& shared) printer
    on that network.
    Also from memory, if XP doesn't have that printers driver, then you need to
    install it on each computer that you want to print from.
    Once you set the printer to be shared, it should be found by the other
    computers on the network.
    Usual stuff about being set to same workgroup etc apply of course.

    BruceM, Aug 30, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    Perhaps all you need is just check that sharing of that printer is enabled
    on the tower PC.
    Go to this PC in Explorer: \\yourPC
    then you'll see the printer and connect to it.

    --PA

    Guest, Aug 31, 2007