    pins) and the whole computer shut off. Well maybe not because the power
    light was on as well as the mobo lights. What did I do? Is it safe to turn
    the computer on? What should I do now?

    Joseph Pelt, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Joseph Pelt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Often the overload circuitry in the power supply will shut down the system
    for a period of time, but will restart after a few minutes. I'd say if it's
    been more than 4 or 5 minutes, power it back up and see if it starts.

    There are sometimes fuses inside the PS, but that's not something I'd
    suggest a non-techician attempt to repair.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005

  3. Joseph Pelt

    Joseph Pelt Guest

    So the components won't get damaged further if I try powering it up?

    Joseph Pelt, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Joseph Pelt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Very unlikely. I would expect everything is fine. If anything has been
    damaged, it is probably only the power supply. If the system doesn't run,
    try a different power supply. But I've seen system shorted out and shut
    down, and they weren't damaged at all.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 3, 2005
  5. I did that once with the leads to my 120mm fan.

    Chances are, the computer will be fine. If not, the damage is already
    done and it won't hurt anything to power it up and see if it runs.

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 3, 2005