urgent - need info - "Anywhere" wireless internet access (EDGE/ GPRS coverage)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by kimshapiro100@yahoo.com, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    urgent - need info - "Anywhere" wireless internet access (EDGE/ GPRS
    coverage)
    via a wireless aircard attached to the laptop

    I am travelling from Northern California to Southern California for a
    few days.
    It would be great to have wireless internet access from the car, beach
    etc ...be able to check and return emails.
    ( I will be using it mostly to check emails and return emails)

    I do not want to be stuck to my hotel in Southern california all day
    just to check and reply to my emails.

    Is there any company / service that offers a temporary service for the
    above...or has a pay as you go service ....

    This would be great ...as i need it only for 3 days.

    It seems that most companies like Cingular have one year + contracts.

    is the speed very slow ? How could is this coverage/ service ?

    Do anyone have any info that could help me.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Kim

    PS I have heard about hotspots ...what are these ? and where in
    Southern california ?

    , Feb 13, 2006

  2. Malke Guest

    wrote:

    > urgent - need info - "Anywhere" wireless internet access (EDGE/ GPRS
    > coverage)
    > via a wireless aircard attached to the laptop
    >
    > I am travelling from Northern California to Southern California for a
    > few days.
    > It would be great to have wireless internet access from the car,
    > beach etc ...be able to check and return emails.
    > ( I will be using it mostly to check emails and return emails)
    >
    > I do not want to be stuck to my hotel in Southern california all day
    > just to check and reply to my emails.
    >
    > Is there any company / service that offers a temporary service for the
    > above...or has a pay as you go service ....
    >
    > This would be great ...as i need it only for 3 days.
    >
    > It seems that most companies like Cingular have one year + contracts.
    >
    > is the speed very slow ? How could is this coverage/ service ?

    (snippage)
    > PS I have heard about hotspots ...what are these ? and where in
    > Southern california ?

    Hi, Kim. The only other service I've heard about like the Cingular is
    one from Sierratel. I have no idea what the service terms are. Those
    types of connections are slow but are good if you travel a lot in
    places where there isn't the normal Internet access. One of my clients
    spends a lot of time traveling in the back of beyond in an RV and she
    uses Sierratel.

    I think - if you are going to be in cities of any size at all - you
    would be happier just going to a Starbucks. This is the "hot spot"
    you're thinking of. Basically, you pay for Internet access for some
    period of time - hourly - and get to hook up to their high-speed
    wireless network. You can do this with the equipment you already have
    and don't have to make any long-term commitments.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com