    Is there something I'm missing or is my camera potentially defective?

    Best,

    AJ.

    Marc Twain, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Marc Twain

    Mark B. Guest

    It's well known that alkalines won't last long in digital cams. Were the
    NiMHs fully charged? If so, it sounds like you need to exchange the A80.

    Mark

    Mark B., Dec 15, 2003

  3. Marc Twain

    Harry Da Hat Guest

    Never leave a camera turned on. It drains whatever batteries you might have
    in it.

    Simple?

    RTFM

    Harry

    Harry Da Hat, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Marc Twain

    Don Coon Guest

    Harry, can you read (more than the FM)? He said he turned it on and off ---
    meaning he left it OFF over night.

    Don Coon, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Marc Twain

    Harvey Guest

    It is defective if it drained the battery overnight while off. Return it as
    soon as possible.

    Harvey, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Marc Twain

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Rechargeable batteries need to be charged a couple of times before they retain
    their full charge. Did you charge them?

    Alkalines are worthless in digital cameras.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Marc Twain

    Alan D-W Guest

    I think you should follow your own advice and RTF original post.

    Alan D-W, Dec 15, 2003
  8. Marc Twain

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Re-test base on these replies. If batteries of any flavor discharge with
    camera off, camera is defective.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 15, 2003
  9. Marc Twain

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Not to belabor the point, but the question has a simple answer.
    ANY camera (or other device) that drains batteries overnight when OFF is
    not potentially defective, it IS defective.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2003
  10. Marc Twain

    Harry Da Hat Guest

    Jumped as usual. Reading too quickly. I scan the newsgroup at 3 in the
    morning, still blurry eyed. Only time I get to read it most of the time. I
    will take my time from now on, AFTER a cup of coffee. Too early for
    reading, must be. My eyeglasses need replacing, yada yada yada.

    Harry

    Harry Da Hat, Dec 15, 2003
  11. Marc Twain

    Markeau Guest

    Except for the pretty-darn-good-otherwise Canon Elura 2MC DV videocam
    of which *all* drain the battery flat overnight when "off" ... just
    had to comment on that because Canon dropped the ball on that one.

    Markeau, Dec 16, 2003
  12. Marc Twain

    Ron Hunter Guest

    My answer remains the same. ANY device that drains batteries that fast
    whe OFF is defective.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 16, 2003
  13. Marc Twain

    Casey J. Guest

    Other than repeating the obvious "your camera is defective" replies,
    here's something to consider:

    I have an A80 too, and I left it on accidentally one night after
    uploading the pics to the PC. The batteries were dead the next
    morning, but since the lens are retracted when in the upload/review
    mode (the slide switch in the back in the "down" position), I
    initially thought that the camera had been turned off and that the
    batteries had mysteriously died. Since the on/off is the momentary
    button on the top, after the batteries had died, the camera
    essentially was back in the "off" mode by virtue of no juice.

    I realized what I did after retracing my steps.

    Are you sure that maybe this wasn't the case? I know that the green
    LED is lit when "on" in either slide switch mode, but it's easy to
    miss when you see the lens retracted. The best way to make sure is to
    keep the slide switch in the "up" position and then turning it off.

    Casey

    Casey J., Dec 16, 2003
  14. Marc Twain

    Marc Twain Guest

    Thanks for all the answers-

    I concluded that the camera was defective and sent it back. Will post
    if that one has a problem, too.

    Cheers,

    AJ.

    Marc Twain, Dec 16, 2003
  15. Harry, can you read (more than the FM)? He said he turned it on and off ---

    Yea... that is what I got from his comments as well. Sounds like the camera may
    be defected. Not sure exactly what could be going on since it drained the
    batteries overnight with it being turned off.

    I have actually left my A80 turned on by accident all night a couple of times
    sitting on my desk when I was retrieving pictures from it. This was before I
    got the power supply for it.

    Anyway, it never drained the batteries and I am still using the same set of four
    in the camera.

    Kerry Sanders, Dec 19, 2003