UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. - Bobb -

    toneus Guest

    There's some good and bad points being made here. Cheap UPS systems
    utilise square wave inverters, regardless if they call them pseudo-
    sine or whatever, they're square waves. Square waves inverters are
    actually pummelling your power supply with a series of high voltage
    impulses. This is not good for any electronic circuit. Thankfully, as
    mentioned above, the inverter only kicks in when the power fails which
    is usually only an occasional occurance and so most equipment that
    uses a switch mode power supply (i.e. computer power supplies) will
    appear generally unaffected. However, my money says if you are having
    regular power outages, your system will get damaged by these type of
    UPS.

    But I disagree completely with the point made above that transformer
    power supplies will round the edges and this is safe. It is not! They
    round the edges as they are disappating the power, and this is
    generating heat and surely causing damage, not only to the transformer
    but to the UPS as well. In my experience you can actually hear the
    transformer laminations buzzing when subject to a square wave. Don't
    do it!

    If in doubt, you need a sine wave inverter, and for true power
    protection an online UPS system. If you're using for medical
    equipment, never, never use a square wave UPS, as not only can it
    cause problems as discussed above, the noise it generates can
    interfere with the operation of the system. Not only, that, but when
    you use a UPS in a medical environment, it should be certified to
    UL2601-1 and have very low earth leakage. I have written about this on
    my blog http://upsmart.co.uk/blog if anybody is interested.

    toneus, Nov 24, 2008

  2. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    My original post (posted on Jul 15 2007 ! ) was regarding any UPS - even the
    one connected to my PC. Buying a UPS assumes the buyer would LIKE to keep
    power applied to the target device, right ? At 3AM when a car hits a pole
    and I lose power at the house, since UPS switch is normally ON, I'm awoken
    by a beeping that I'd like to ignore. Short of unplugging the UPS, on many
    models there is no FACTORY way of silencing the beep. I'd like to have a
    SILENCE button to turn off the beep - that's all. Since they do not offer
    it, then what HAS to happen is:
    option #1 = leave plugged in , hear the beep, stay awake and wait until
    battery dies (or street power reappears) OR
    #2 = unplug the UPS.
    Either of those factory options is/was stupid. ( aside from the fact that
    you're using even more backup power to generate the beep). THAT was my
    point: PC, TV etc - same argument. BTW, APC states -
    " Waveform Type = Stepped approximation to a sinewave " here:
    http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE350G&tab=models&total_watts=200

    - Bobb -, Nov 24, 2008

  3. - Bobb -

    westom1 Guest

    Or three: install a switch to disconnect the beeper. Others worried
    about an irrelevant warranty. A typical UPS battery has a three year
    life expectancy that the warranty does not even cover. What else
    needs a warranty? The UPS circuitry is often so cheap and simple
    (which is why it outputs square waves) that the battery costs almost
    as much as a new UPS.

    Put a switch on the beeper. Problem solved. Solution was always
    that simple.

    westom1, Nov 25, 2008
  4. I believe the restriction is not a matter of the technology so much as the
    warranty. All of the ratings are based on a fixed range of constants..
    those being the average power draw of computing equipment, not an Amana
    microwave oven or your power drill.

    Kevin Childers, Nov 26, 2008
  5. To the original subject: Some have physical switches to silence the alarm
    and some have software to manage that. Then again some only have an on/off
    switch. Check the documentation and you will see what your options are.

    Kevin Childers, Nov 27, 2008