    Espen Koht Guest

    The first set was wet cell, but we're now using dry AGM batteries, and
    the life expectancy in our application is supposed to similar. We'll see.

    Espen Koht, Jan 29, 2011

  2. tony sayer

    Skipweasel Guest

    Not having Office 07 is a positive benefit, having used it.

    Skipweasel, Jan 29, 2011

  3. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Tablet computing (as we see it today) has its uses. But it's very far
    from being good enough to displace a laptop which is itself in effect a
    portable desktop machine.
    It would be for people whose job involved reading and editing Word
    documents.
    It's not just thin clients - my new phone has Google maps linked to GPS,
    but there's no mapping data *in* the phone (although it seems to be
    building a cache). Contrast with a conventional SatNav which has the
    maps built in. Or maybe Google Maps is a thin client (the definition
    seems a bit blurry to me). I expect many of the other apps in a tablet
    really need the connectivity to be able to do anything useful at all.

    Roland Perry, Jan 29, 2011
  4. tony sayer

    Skipweasel Guest

    Yup - dated back a century or more.

    Skipweasel, Jan 29, 2011
  5. tony sayer

    Tim Watts Guest

    Skipweasel () wibbled on Saturday 29 January 2011
    20:36:
    I read some bits on 'tinterweb about how they used to hand dig wells. Very
    interesting.

    One method was to take a 1/2 barrel (big barrel), dig a hole a few feet deep
    and the diameter of the barrel. Then they would inset the half-barrel, and
    build a few courses of circular brick wall round inside the hole, supported
    on the barrel.

    I guess when they had enough courses to hold together in a stable fashion, a
    bloke would go into the hole and dig. As he dug, the barrel would slip
    downwards into the newly formed hole and the brick "tube" would follow.

    Bloke up top continues to add courses and bloke down bottom keeps digging -
    using a bucket on a rope (and presumably more blokes) to haul out the earth.

    Relatively safe, I would guess, provided the brick tube didn't collapse, as
    the barrel (and bricks) would fill the excavation as soon as it was extended
    leaving no unsupported earth walls to fall in.

    That's the theory - not sure I'd fancy it - but I guess they made plenty
    that way.

    In more modern times, I have seen hand dug wells lined with concrete sewer
    pipe sections which would probably be a pretty bomb proof method - wasn't
    deep though, the one I saw in Latvia - probably about 50 feet if that.

    Tim Watts, Jan 29, 2011
  6. Yes. we have a really hard time on usenet without all the features of
    Word to make our outpourings formatted, don't we?

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 29, 2011
  7. tony sayer

    mick Guest

    Virgin Media used to use 3 big diesel-driven flywheel ups sets (1 running
    constantly, 1 on standby and 1 under maintenance - so only 1 at once).
    They kept a lot of the gear up for long enough to get the emergency
    generators synchronised & on line. I don't know if they are still in use
    though. They have the advantage that you can hit them with big
    instantaneous loads without the frequency taking a huge nosedive. The
    engine is on tickover once the flywheel is up to speed, so pretty
    efficient for big systems. The big flywheel is scary though!

    mick, Jan 29, 2011
  8. tony sayer

    mick Guest

    There are commercial battery check units that test the battery while it's
    connected to the charger and under load! The device puts narrow spike
    loads on the battery at regular intervals, as a burst. It measures the
    battery terminal voltage during each pulse and checks the recovery time.
    Very neat. They can detect a failing battery before there is any
    otherwise noticeable change in performance. Usually used for station
    tripping batteries. Not particularly cheap!
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/41655265/BA300

    mick, Jan 29, 2011
  9. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    network switch, and an IP to serial converter..

    What the original concern was as to how are various makes of UPS faring
    in their users estimation, but then again there doesn't seem to be much
    competition in the say 500 to 3000 watt area...

    tony sayer, Jan 30, 2011
  10. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Difference in a UPS is they are charged very quickly so the UPS is
    I think you've hit the nail right on the head there;!...

    tony sayer, Jan 30, 2011
  11. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Well round here in Cambridge there are a lot of IT and 'puting types
    thereon, and UK.D-I-Y contains a lot of really practical people!...
    Yes they are fine all SMPS powered.

    Mind you the mains waveform these days looks anything but sine;!....

    It wasn't that, shall we say precise, just a few opinions of the various
    suppliers of UPS units would do fine. Seems that the APC ones still tend
    to cook their batteries whereas the MGE/ Eaton seem better in that
    respect. The units in question are a rather light load and all contain a
    SMPS unit/s so not really a problem as such. The customer concerned has
    now obtained a Eaton EX series unit which works fine and copes fine with
    the mains being turned on and off with not problems so, job done..

    Cheers...

    tony sayer, Jan 30, 2011
  12. tony sayer

    Espen Koht Guest

    As a universal replacement, that's undoubtedly true, but I've come
    across enough people who have switched from laptops to iPads for their
    travel needs, to take notice. I guess their "on the road" needs are
    relatively circumscribed.
    I suspect a lot of the people above, when they are on the road need to:
    brush up on information which will be discussed with people they are
    travelling to see and stay in touch with head office/family, but writing
    is something they would have done before they left and after they come
    back.
    I had an iPhone on an old style contract for a full year where I had
    switched off the the GPRS/Edge connectivity to avoid expensive mobile
    data charges. Having connectivity limited to wifi in certain designated
    areas (home and work mainly) wasn't a big issue. For the mapping I would
    often pre-cache the relevant areas ahead of traveling.

    Espen Koht, Jan 30, 2011
  13. tony sayer

    D.M.Chapman Guest

    We used to run the UKC main datacentre via a motor-generator set.
    This was a big leccy motor spinning a flywheel and a generator.

    Meant we could bridge voltage dips/brownouts. No idea how long it gave
    us - couple seconds at the most I'd imagine.

    Long since replace with UPS - currently a huge 3 phase one (the melted
    batteries I linked to earlier shows what happens when they go wrong :))
    and a backup generator

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmchapman/2387192270/in/set-72157604376562828/

    Amazingly quiet when running...

    Darren

    D.M.Chapman, Jan 30, 2011
  14. tony sayer

    Bob Eager Guest

    It was an amazing thing. Installed in 1976, it was 1983 before it was
    realised it had never been serviced (and it has been running 24/7). UKC
    had been paying ICL for maintenance, and ICL had 'forgotten' to use the
    money to pay the maintainers!

    They decided it was fine but could probably do with some new bearings
    (big ones). They took it out of service for only 5 hours, during which
    time they took it apart, hoisted out the armature, replaced the bearings
    and put it all back together. I don't think it ever actually failed, as
    such.
    I think it may have been more than that - it took many minutes to stop,
    when turned off.

    Bob Eager, Jan 30, 2011
  15. tony sayer

    D.M.Chapman Guest

    Ah, was hoping you'd come along with details :)

    Only time I ever saw it spin down was when we removed it from service. It
    took ages to stop then - but it was off load.

    Darren

    D.M.Chapman, Jan 30, 2011
  16. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    I've come across people who say things like "I'm on a trip to Stockholm
    next week, no email". That's the sort of luxury I can't afford (as well
    as needing access to supporting documentation when I'm in the meetings).
    It's a set of niches. The sort of work I do, you get new versions of
    documents arriving all the time. And responses can't wait till you get
    home, because the conference is over by then. Maybe that's my niche.
    I haven't worked out how to pre-cache yet, but it seems like a sensible
    idea.

    Roland Perry, Jan 30, 2011
  17. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    Roland Perry, Jan 30, 2011
  18. tony sayer

    Roland Perry Guest

    And the irony... here in very urban Nottingham, we've just had a power
    cut for about three minutes. All the UPS stuff in the house carried on
    fine, but the ADSL modem lost contact with my ISP (so something between
    here and there wasn't as resilient as we'd hoped for).

    Roland Perry, Jan 30, 2011
  19. Have you thought of using one or more laptops to do all this and use the
    USB power to drive the things you have to?

    Rupert Moss-Eccardt, Jan 30, 2011
  20. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    In this instance Rupert, not required and rather impractical;!..

    tony sayer, Jan 30, 2011